Sign in to follow this  
DANG60

Willwood brakes + new wheel spacer question

Hey, I have a set of four pot brembos that i was going to reufurb and fit to my 20v corrado. Im running some 16 inch lensos at the moment and needless to say the brembos wont fit. I knew they wouldnt but thought i could mess around with spacers etc and get them to fit.

But now i have been looking at these: http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=4014

The only bad things i have heard about willwoods are they are not dust sealed, but they are now so thats not a concern and that they were better suited to lighter cars. I reckon that these would fit under my wheels. Has anbody had any experience with willwood brakes on theyre vw's?

I know theyve been mentioned a few times on here but anbody know how good they are ?

Ozowen has a set of 6 pots on his but that is a turbo'd VR :) Also Coullstar now has a VR Turbo as well which has Wilwood 4 pots on I think - they both have members galleries.

I think you're right that more of them are dust sealed these days, but still not all, so best check with whoever you'd be buying them through which variant you'd be getting.

My old VRT (now Coullstars) ran willwood 6 pots due to the same problem as you are having,they dont have dust seals, but if you maintain then and dont let the pad get so low as to expose the pistons to the elements for to much of the year they will be fine,but if left unattended and unclean from salt etc they will seize up.

They are light and narrow and work well,defo worth it if you need the space.

Cheers guys, i would deffinately go for the dust sealed ones i think. The car aint a daily driver either more of a hobby car. I think if theyre good enough for two VRT's then theyll deffinately stop my weedy four banger. I would like to think it will see 300 brake one day so do you think a 280mm disc would be sufficient?

Cheers james, its actually a 20vt corrado though so its not if it gets more power its when lol so thats why i was unsure of the 280mm disc theyre only 20mm wide aswell where as the brembos on my last rado were something like 28. I just dont wanna buy them and find theyre not up to the job.

Cheers james, its actually a 20vt corrado though so its not if it gets more power its when lol so thats why i was unsure of the 280mm disc theyre only 20mm wide aswell where as the brembos on my last rado were something like 28. I just dont wanna buy them and find theyre not up to the job.

No matter how good the caliper is limiting it to a small diameter discs wont help,but if you need to keep it that size use good quality parts to help it along,standard 280mm brakes fade fast ! but in a 20vt.... :shrug: can you not squeeze in a 288 disc?

Yeah i spose i could maybe but my car is 4 stud which means theres no off the shelf solution. They do a 310mm kit also that may fit with the callipers being slimmer. il post up my findings, thanks

Following on from my question about brakes, whats the maximum size spacers you guys would reccomend running. I reckon my brembos would go on with a 15 maybe a 20mm spacer. Im aware on the affects spacers have on the drivetrain but is 20mm too much? that would obviously be 40mm in total, so i would have to alter the rear also so it didnt look stupid. I reckon id probably be asking for trouble :?

I'd get some Wilwoods :D Ozowen got his specifically to go under his BBS LMs which aren't great for clearance either.

280 x 20mm... That sounds very thin for a brake disc imo...

I'd want at least 25mm, although depending on how hard you're pushing it, 30 or more might be better for reducing the overheating

Yeah the 20 mm disc bit concerns me aswell, i could phone people who sell them but just get the feeling thed say anything so i buy them :ignore:

Slim ive got an ibiza 305mm brembo setup but dont think they'll clear my wheels without going daf with the spacing.

Gonna try and get some measurements as they do a 6 pot kit with 30mm discs also. that might be over the top though.

Im just trying to suss out which way to go to budget for the bits i need such as brakes, bushes and new suspension :brickwall:

Just thought is update this. Tried my brembo setup on with a 10mm spacer

and they go on but only just. The wheel reduces in diameter as it comes in towards the spokes so the gap is quite tight at the top of the calliper. To close for my liking you can't see the gap because of the wheel type but I can't get the tip of my finger in so looks like willlwoods are the WU to go.

My mates just come round and had a look. If I removed the weight on the wheel I would have around 3mm of clearance between the calliper and wheel. Would this be adequate?

My mates just come round and had a look. If I removed the weight on the wheel I would have around 3mm of clearance between the calliper and wheel. Would this be adequate?

I asked this question to a few companies a couple of years ago.... responses were:

AP specify a minimum of 3mm. Wilwood recommend a minimum of 0.100". Bremsport recommend a minimum of 0.125".

Pic below shows the porsche caliper where it touched the wheel. Other owners had insisted there was sufficient clearance. Looked too close to me so kept a close eve over the first few miles. A bit of flex in the components/wheels brought about touching. Its not always so easy to gauge how close the calipers are as you say because of curved surfaces etc....

HTH

You'd then unbalance the wheel... not something you really wanna be doing.

Thanks guys great info. Not too concerned about the wheel balance side of things as i did this on my last corrado and just had them rebalanced in place so they didnt intrude with the callipers. I should really just man up and make a decision. The trouble is the cost of refurbing my brembos and getting new discs and pads etc is the same price as buying a brand new brake kit. Oh desicions lol