mat-mk3

VDO Senders & Gauges for VR6

So ive just bought a set of gauges from an Audi and now i think the oil pressure gauge might be the wrong one

Ive searched for most of tonight and see mixed reports about the 5 bar gauge being too low for a VR6. Can anyone confirm what they are using on a VR6? The most i see on here have a 5 bar fitted!

Also what senders should i use? I would like to keep the dash stuff also so is it better to use a twin sender or a single one and a T-Piece?

Also same questions for oil temp, Twin sender or replace the sump plug with a sender?

Its for me MK2 VR6 but the engine is from a Corrado hence asking here :D

Thanks

Mat

You'll find the gauge will full scale when initially cold as pressure is 6 to 7 bar on start. After getting warmed up this will drop to 2 bar on idle, about 4 to 4.5 bar peak on higher rpm. A lot dependant on oil grade also. Figures are for 10w40/15w40 grade oils. As its hard over when cold , are you really worried??? Better to have a bigger needle sweep for 0 - 5 bar so lower pressures can be easily read whats going on when warmed up.

The gauge senders must match the gauge, ie 5 bar both units otherwise the calibration is affected to give an incorrect reading.

Fitting a "T" piece on a VR filter head.... Better to retain the dash buzzer and indication as they are usefull backups to attract attention to oil pressure is low or failed. Hope you've got free access for tools on the Mk2 as the Corrado is almost impossible to get to with a "t" piece and my experience years ago was oil leaks as I couldn't get the spanner on the "T" piece to tighten it down well enough. Used a dual switch and sender in the end, directly onto the filter head.

Oil temp you can sacrifice, its a matter of whether you want to see it in the dash LCD. It's a load circuit so both means a second sensor. Sump plug would give you more information, ie sump oil temp and well as oil temp entering the bearings.

That's great, thanks for your help.

I think the best idea would be to fit a dual sender and connect both to that. I just hope the dash indication is ok with using a vdo sensor not the VW one, has anyone had a problem with this?

Would i need to drain the oil to install these?

I'm guessing the pressure one is ok but the sump plug would piss out.

There is quite a bit of room in the mk2 bay. I need to take the rad out anyway so will put these in at the same time.

Thanks again

Mat

Sender is just a switch of the right pressure setting, dash isn't fussy.

No oil drain for the filter head fitment one, but there will be a little oil around if some residual pressure. Nothing to be

concerned with, just have a rag to hand to wipe.

Sump plug unfortunately means draining.

Thats great.

So im going to order up a 5 bar, Twin pole pressure sender with a M10x1 Thread.

Im going to loose the MFA oil temp for the moment and just use the VDO one so i could use the normal sensor location.

Is the thread for the oil temp also M10x1? And What rating do i need? My gauge goes to 170 but as the engine is not quite running yet i dont know what the oil is normally at.

I see a couple places that do 120 & 150 Degree Senders. What do you think i would need? Or would the OE VW one work with the VDO?

Thanks

Mat :clap:

The oil temp sensor on top of the oil filter housing is M10 x 1. Its VDO and 0 - 150'C on the VR6. Therefore where the engine normally operates it will give an error of readings of 10'C - 12'C.

Had a quick look and Audi on some cars use higher oil temp sensors: 0'C - ***'C. Can you read off the 6 digit gauge part number with sub letter (if used) that may be stamped on it. Or the Audi model it came from, ie. Audi 80, Audi A4.

The circuit is a resistive load sensitive to temperature.

Gauges have come out of a J reg Audi 90 20V Sport. I dont get them untill next week though so cant get the number quite yet.

Cheers

Mat

That's enough to ID it :).

Oil Temp Gauge is 60'C - 170'C. Sender is 0'C - 180'C Temp sender is part number 035 919 521B but there's a problem..... M22 x 1, 5

So, another Audi model carries an oil temp sender 0'C - 180'C and is M10 x 1 Part number 049 919 563. (or with 563A or 563B, all the same) One source for temp sender or 2nd source for temp. sender.

Worth asking VW/Audi dealer parts for it as 2007 price £12 iirc.

C.

Ah man, Your a star! :cheers:

Having a quick read of the internet, PN 049 919 563B is the better one to go for. Alot of people cant get the 049 919 563A one working with Audi gauges.

I will hopefully order one tomorrow (Along with an audi TT quickshift) for delivery saturday.

Last question, And well i only have one other gauge :lol:

Is there a suggested place to install the volt gauge or will any 12V & ground do?

With it being a track car i dont have alot of loom left, No cig lighter etc. :?

Thanks

Mat

I've always run my voltmeter installs on a wire direct to the battery +ve with a 1 amp fuse at the battery end protecting it. If you put in on say the cig lighter (if you had one) or the back of the fuse box where there are battery or ignition connections, it sees false readings due to circuit loadings. Ground can be local. It's always on but you could fit a switch.

Well my battery is in the boot anyway so it wouldnt be hard to run a cable to it.

Just looking for a 5 Bar Twin pole, M10x1 sender now.

Seem to be hard to find....Cheap... :lol:

Thanks again

Mat

For the Oil Pressure? I thought it needed to be VDO or would an Audi one do it?

They seem to be even more expensive than a new VDO one.

They may have got a scrapper in with a dual fitted. Quite a common fitment across the Audi's and some VW's. Part number 035 919 561. In fact the 20v Audi you got the gauges from is down as having it fitted.

Volksmine your 1st port of call.

I have a 10bar sender dual pole. Will this be ok with the audi pressure gauge(the set of three that come together)? It says 0.5 +/- 0.15 which i assume is the alarm range? Not sure on the thread size though...

Edit: stupid question really, as the gauge only goes up to 5 bar!!

Edited by fla