Sign in to follow this  
Slimg60

Laying a car up for few months

I've found out today I can expect to spend some time (6 months) next year somewhere hot and sandy.

I want to store the Corrado whilst I'm away, and would just like to know what is best to do.

I will be getting a car cover as I have no garage and I dont think the wife will be washing her every week!

Am I best to leave it with an empty yank of fuel to stop it going off?

and jack it up to preserve the tires?

And help would be great.

I have a don't...

Don't just park it up on the road and leave it like what I did for a month!.... :oops:

Ended up with all sorts of problems including pitted discs, which meant a new set all round. In my defence I didn't really have anywhere else to leave her or space to store removed wheels etc etc. Rado's are meant to be run (or at least mine is) so maybe it would be best to leave her with someone you trust and who can be insured on her, in a carsitting kind of scenario?

Personally I'd have the tank topped up - maybe just imagination but I kinda "fear" it's easier to get "water" in the fuel if it's not topped up.

You could of course jack it up on stands - I would think the tires would be fine though - or you could put it on some old tires/rims your not using?.

Make sure the battery is taken off, and don't have the parking brake engaged - maybe even take of the brake pads so it don't get "stuck"....

petrol goes off so i cant see having to run it through a full tank of deteriorated stuff would be better than driving it straight to the nearest petrol station and giving it some brand new juice to get high on :)

petrol goes off so i cant see having to run it through a full tank of deteriorated stuff would be better than driving it straight to the nearest petrol station and giving it some brand new juice to get high on :)

Not sure about this personally, but always tend to have fuel tanks full when I store things like f.ex motorbike and cars - most experience with motorbikes when it comes to storing, and really can't say much is evaporating from the tank during store time - might be different in a car though - even though my C stood still for roughly 1 - 1.5 years and can't say I noticed much fuel disappearing during this time :)

Anyway, don't think it really matters that much on the C - as the gas tank i plastic, on a steel tank (as on a bike) I think it will protect against rust etc having it "full"....

personal opinion, i would say 100% find a garage. it should only cost you £40 per month or so to get the car inside for that timescale and i'm sure you'll be seeing a decent wedge if you're being sent away..

Once in the garage empty tank and axle stands would be best, or old wheels/tyres if ness.

there is no way an outdoor car cover is going to do you any favours over 6 months.. just as bad as leaving it exposed to the elements IMO..