Sign in to follow this  
simo79

engine mounts

Hi guys

Needing to replace me engine mounts and gear box one also. Are vibratechnincs worth the extra dosh?

Or are there other products out there better than standard. Me Vr in a 94 plate.

Or should i stay with standard?

Spoke to my friend who used to own a mark2 gti and he said it pulls the car together.

Once again your wisdom is always greatkey recieved.

Cheers

simo

Ive got vibra technics on mine as recommended by Dave (D&G autotech) i was a bit skeptical at having uprated engine mounts all round but have to say no probs atall just make sure you go for the "road ones" and not the "race ones"(as these will be hard on bumpy roads)

Standard ones are fine too up to you though fella

Don't buy GSF or any other pattern mounts, apart from the gearbox mount. They're just not up to the job. I would go with a MK2 Golf Deisel mount for the gearbox + VT front and rear. Defo go VT with the front mount.

Do the VT mounts wear out, or are they fit and forget? When I see them advertised the blurb says they don't deteriorate like other mounts, or is that bollocks?

Got one on my car but one/all the mounts are shagged. Not looked into which one yet :?

Think they wear out eventually. You can just replace the insert though, not the whole mount 8)

Think they wear out eventually. You can just replace the insert though, not the whole mount 8)

Might be worth considering. Think its the GB mount that needs doing, is there a way to check each mount without crawling under the car?

Front mount is easiest to check. Put the handbrake on and get someone to put it into first, lift the clutch about halfway and touch the accelerator (all with handbrake left on). Whilst they're doing this, watch the engine for excessive movement.

Other than this, you can check visually. Front and gearbox mounts are hydro and full of an oily fluid- so see if there has been any leakage. How's the gearchange? If there is no paperwork to suggest they've been changed and they look old and rusty, it's worth changing them out anyway TBH.

MK2 diesel mount is same fitment, but solid rubber instead of hydro/bonded rubber. It's stronger, gives better gearchange etc. Got one from ECP for £20 delivered.

How's the gearchange? If there is no paperwork to suggest they've been changed and they look old and rusty, it's worth changing them out anyway TBH.

Gear change is fine when moving, but pulling away from a stop is a bit juddery. And going back down the box to slow down is a bit clunky. Think I better have a look at them soon.

worth a note

that if you fit vibratech all around you do get more torque steer cus the engine stays as steady as a rock

i recently found this out

cheers stu...

I wouldn't get the GSF mk2 diesel gearbox mount, they're crap! I put one on mine last year and I recently put a VT one back in as the rubber was lifting away from the casing :epicfail: Kev had a GSF one too and was having gearshifting issues with his. He recently bit the bullet and bought a genuine std one new from VAG and it's LOADS better. The rubber on the standard one feeeeels softer but if you put the mounts in a vice and put some leverage on them the GSF one has more play!

I bit the bullet as well and just bought a new genuine VAG mount for mine as the VT one sends too many vibrations through the cab for my liking and I get clutch judder (which was terrible with the shagged GSF mount!). Fitting this weekend.

Buy cheap buy twice! :salute: