Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Cambered tyres?

Well, ignore the headline on this one, physics tells you it's nothing to do with fuel economy, but thought a few people might be interested to see cambered tyres on the horizon.. the aim is you can run heavy camber forever and it'll not wear the tyre so quickly.

I do question if this "development" wouldn't just make the car handle worse, in all circumstances, but we'll wait and see, huh?

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/08/16/0213238/Cambered-Tires-Can-Improve-Fuel-Economy

Also very weird, and mostly depressing, seeing the slashdot crowd doing an article about cars... They can pontificate knowledgably on computers all day long, but this is just embarrassing ...

I think so, the rolling radiuses would be different, the tyre belts would have to be asymetrical too, and the handling would be really weird.. I think it's just a bit of a fantasy idea, and I really can't see it catching on or even really being viable let alone delivering on any of the promises they're making..