Sign in to follow this  
samthegram

Best aftermarket cams for 9a

I have done a search in this section and can't find anything that quite answers what I need, so the question is.....

Are there any aftermarket cams that increase the power and torque across the range and not just increase power at the top end?

I know of ones available from Schrick, Kent and Piper but what do I need to look for? I'm not quite sure what 268/270/272 actually means.

Current engine spec and power run graph after a rolling road tune;

2ltr 16v with;

Kr inlet and 9a outlet cams,

ported and rebuilt head,

smoothed,ported and gasket matched 50mm inlet manifold,

knife edged and ported throttle body,

cold air feed into airbox with K+N filter,

14mm silicon ht leads,

JE forged pistons (slightly up on compression 11.2 : 1) ,

lightened and balanced flywheel,

solid front and poly rear engine mounts,

Heat wrapped 4 branch into 2 1/4" 2 box system (with de-cat)

LGIM0440.jpg[/attachment:xcckammx]

As you can see it is currently pushing 180bhp with 145 lb/ft , Would aftermarket cams be worth it or would they just raise it at the top end?

Also would a vernier cam pulley be of any use or are they only good when converting to megasquirt or the like?

I am keen to see if I can make 200bhp but want to keep the original ignition and injection system , is this possible or will I have to rev it to 9k? :lol:

Any help/ideas are appreciated. Sam.

P.S car is also semi stripped/lightened to about 1035kg so big torque not needed.

Some 260 duration would be good for midrange along with a 42mm inlet mani. Are you running standard management? Thought about ITB's?

Whatever you get, you need to make sure you can get the fuelling right or you are wasting your time and money.

I tried Scrick 268/276 cams in mine, and it was lumpy as hell, and down on power. I went back to KR spec cams.

Mine is a 9a, so it has KE-Motronic, which has a reputation for not being very tunable compared to the K-Jetronic, however I think I am getting somewhere with mine. Earlier this year I completely rebuilt the engine, including re-bore to 83mm bore and flowed head. After this it ran very badly, so I took it to Stealth, who confirmed it was running very lean, but they could not do anything with it. Since then I have done loads of research and adjustment. It now runs well, but I'm not sure how it would do with lumpy cams.

Is yours on K-Jet or Ke-Motronic?

pair of ABF cams? cheap and another mm of lift over the KR cams.

really wild cam profiles just mean you need a 1500rpm idle and peak power and torque gets shifted higher up the rev range,

I drove a GTI engineering 2.1 club sport once, went like a wild thing but the smoothness of the bottom end was definitely compromised, think that had mild-ish shricks on it. (190 ish peak hp)

really wild cam profiles just mean you need a 1500rpm idle and peak power and torque gets shifted higher up the rev range,

I drove a GTI engineering 2.1 club sport once, went like a wild thing but the smoothness of the bottom end was definitely compromised, think that had mild-ish shricks on it. (190 ish peak hp)

It would be interesting to see a back to back comparison of KR cams Vs ABF cams.

It would be interesting to see a back to back comparison of KR cams Vs ABF cams.

I reckon the difference would be negligable (if we re talking twin exhaust kr cams), maybe a slight improvement over stock kr cams?

Whatever you get, you need to make sure you can get the fuelling right or you are wasting your time and money.

I tried Scrick 268/276 cams in mine, and it was lumpy as hell, and down on power. I went back to KR spec cams.

Mine is a 9a, so it has KE-Motronic, which has a reputation for not being very tunable compared to the K-Jetronic, however I think I am getting somewhere with mine. Earlier this year I completely rebuilt the engine, including re-bore to 83mm bore and flowed head. After this it ran very badly, so I took it to Stealth, who confirmed it was running very lean, but they could not do anything with it. Since then I have done loads of research and adjustment. It now runs well, but I'm not sure how it would do with lumpy cams.

Mine is KE- Jetronic which I thought all 2ltr 16v 9a's were? Also I took it to Noble motorsport in Chesterfield who rolling road tuned it and managed to increase the fuelling to stop it running lean aswell as move the ignition advance on a degree or 2.

Mine is KE- Jetronic which I thought all 2ltr 16v 9a's were? Also I took it to Noble motorsport in Chesterfield who rolling road tuned it and managed to increase the fuelling to stop it running lean aswell as move the ignition advance on a degree or 2.

All the info I have says the 9a is KE-Motronic.

From what I can make out

K-Jetronic - the basic system.

KE-Jetronic - As K-Jetronic, but with a narrow band lambda sensor and ECU which can alter fueling.

KE-Motronic - As KE-Jetronic, but with knock sensors and fully mappable ignition.

Sam I have a spare set of 9a cams if you would like to try the twin exaust cam mod, there yours for free I you want to come collect them, I live in Sheffield city centre, my friends 9a is rapid I'll ask him what cams he uses, I know he has a chip, and has spaced out his metering head and done the wur mod to help cope with the fueling, his is in a mk2 on k-jet he also has a few differnt gearboxes and different size wheels depending on what his driving situation is going to be, his box with longer 3rd is fun.