Sign in to follow this  
BlueVR6

VR6 Starting Problem

Hi,

I'm having a few problems with my 1994 VR6 :( . I'll give you al a run down on the symptoms

About a month ago I put the C in to the garage because it wasn’t running sweet, wee bit of miss firing and wouldn’t idle well. Garage checked it on the computer but didn’t show anything up, so they took out the ISV cleaned it and re-fitted it. This helped the running issues, but for only about 2 weeks, after that it went back to miss firing, not running smoothly, although was idling ok.

Then I filled the car with Shell Optimax and the car started to run a lot better, not spluttering at all and idling fine. Although, this week it’s started being a pain to start. My C has never been a brilliant starter for the 8 years I’ve had it but recently its got considerably worse, it must be taking about 7-10 seconds to start, it must turn over about 15-20 times before it finally starts.

What do you folk recommend doing? I've had a look about for threads on here and seem the following been mentioned -

Fuel Pump Realy - Could it be this, how easy is it to replace and where is it?

Ignition Switch - Could it be this, or seeing as its winding over is this ok?

ECU Relay - Could it be this, how easy is it to replace and where is it?

Or could it be anything else? I didn’t think it could be the MAF or other sensors as nothing showed up when it was connected to the computer. Would any of the items above show on the computer?

Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers

Mike

I guess it *could* be the fuel pump relay - but I would think it's fine if you can hear it "purge" when you put ignition in "ON" position.

Ignition switch is a posibility - if it haven't been replaced sometime it might be a good idea to replace it anyway.

doubt the ECU relay - thought it's always a posibility (the relay's will be in the area around the fuse panel).

Other things to get checked out:

Fuel pressure regulator (just recently (yesterday) replaced mine and it seem to have taken care of the "hard" start problem I had - although I haven't used it enough to actually confirm it's good - as sometimes it started alright before also).

Maybe replace your fuel filter if it haven't been done.

You could of course also take out the MFA again and spray it with start gass (holding it horizontal so dirt will drain off).

I would presume that most sensors would throw an error and show up on a scan - although not 100% sure about this.......

Am i right in thinking if the car is turning over there shouldnt be a problem with the ignition key?

Also the fuel pressure regulator, where about is this located?

thanks for the help!!!

Cheers

Mike

I would think your switch is alright.

the FPR is the blank little thingy sitting on the end of the fuel rail (opposite side where the fuel hoses comes in).

Defo worth changing your fuel filter. Really cheap and relatively simple to do. Chances are, it hasn't been done for ages, if at all.

Defo worth changing your fuel filter. Really cheap and relatively simple to do. Chances are, it hasn't been done for ages, if at all.

yea - only trouble is if the bolts snaps - not a huge problem but adds a bit work :)

just changed mine last week - that filter was the original one, even though it looked to be in good nick, the fuel seemed to be fine coming out of it, still a good thing to do if it haven't been done :)