Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Tyre repair kit with plugs and glue

When I changed my wheels recently I spotted a screw in one of my tyres. Was holding pressure but not a great idea to have a screw in there. It's in the middle of the tread and there is still loads of tread left so want to repair it. I know Kwik Fit etc might fix it and that you can get repair kits with a couple of tools and glue and plugs for a few quid. Anyone any experience of either or recommendations?

Not tried the DIY kit but have had it done professionally (by a mobile tyre outfit) a few years ago - worked a treat - think they charged £40 which was acceptable as I needed it fixed that night. Works by dissolving the rubber and reforming I think so good as new apparently.

My view is that the days when you plugged car tyres yourself is when they did typically 50mph max and were quite lightweight.

It is much more preferable with a performance sports coupe to have it done professionally.

Kwil-Fit not preferred, I use ATS Euromaster local to me and they did a repair for the damage you are describing with a "mushroom" plug for £20.50 in July. Repaired, fitted & balanced included in the price. Not the first, had several done this way and no problems afterwards.

Took it down to ATS Euromaster, was told £20.50 for a repair, by the manager. Came back and a lady in front of me was paying for a puncture repair with a credit card and one of the fitters was saying "well if you pay with a card it's £20.50 coz we have to do all the paperwork otherwise it's a tenner for cash" So when he had finished with her I said "Puncture repair" and held out a tenner to which he said "Great, thanks" and took my tenner and put it in a mug under the counter.

Nice one!

Cash is still king! :clap: