Sign in to follow this  
pbradley98

Boomy noise from a 3 box VR6 Jetex Exhaust?

Hi - due to the original exhaust finally giving up (after just 16 years and 140k!!), I've recently had a Jetex 3 box system fitted to my VR6, which for the majority of the time is superb as I was after something as close to OE as possible but without the ridiculous £700+ price tag I was quoted for an original VAG CAT back system......

However, between around 1900 - 2500 rpm when you accelerate there seems to be a really resonant 'boomy' sound which doesn't sound pleasant and is a bit of a pain if going along in traffic around 50 - 60mph when you're generally somewhere in this rev range. Does anyone else have any experience of this with the 3 box Jetex?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who's got the Jetex system and whether they have similar noise issues (or if they have got the Jetex but don't have any issues with the noise like I have).

Cheers

Phil

I have the Jetex 3 box system on my Golf VR6. The previous owner apparently started by fitting a 2-box system and found it way too loud to live with everyday, so added in the 3rd box to quieten it down (which apparently, according to Jetex themselves, is very common!).

I find the slightly more sporty note over the standard exhaust enjoyable, and I drive the Golf everyday to work. I think I know what you mean about the boominess, but it doesn't really bother me. Have you still got the standard cat in or a replacement decat pipe? The cat helps to quieten things down a little further.

Last time I saw his car, CrazyDave was running a Jetex system on is VRT, but the turbo is really good at quietening things down - even without a cat - so he may not experience the problem you are experiencing.

I had a 3-box jetex fitted to my VR6 last year - it was to replace the 15-year-old original, also.

I find the noise is different to the original's, but I have not noticed a marked strong boomy noise at a particular rev range. I will listen now that you have mentioned it!

I find the noise is a little stronger than before, but it always gives me the impression that you are leaving it behind you! Difficult to put into words.

Altogether, what with tyre noise and exhaust noise, we are finding the Corrado more stressful on long journies than our 2009 Yaris tdi. (The Yaris is easier to drive at 80-85 as well. Shhhhh! Keep that to yourself.)

Thanks guys, the system has the standard CAT in still.

Think have found the issue - the system looks to be vibrating on something on the underside of the car.... the whole exhaust is sitting too far back, so rather than hanging straight down, the rubbers are at an angle that holds the whole exhaust too high.... think it's going to need a refit so back to the garage for me!

PS - Craigowl there are somethings that shouldn't be confessed to!

Hopefully now fixed after a couple of hours back at the garage! Had to chop an inch off the end of the exhaust where it connects to the back of the CAT to move the whole system forward so that the mounts were hanging straight down and there was much more clearance over the rear axle, which seems to have resolved the "booming" noise when accelerating and the rattling in general!