Sign in to follow this  
badgerman

1.8 16v Steering vagueness

Hi all,

I am experiencing a little problem with my steering rack on the 16v I just got. The front wheel bearings have just been replaced but there is some 'vagueness' when the steering goes from straight to turning left. It feels like there is a split second where the rack is not turning the wheel. The track rod ends are fine so I guess it can only be the rack.

I have a new rack from a 2.0 16v (Are they the same?), but I won't be able to fit it for a while, but I was reading that there is some sort of 'tightening' bolt on some corrado racks. So my question is, has anyone experienced this kind of steering feeling? Could it be temporarily resolved? I have had a look through some of the previous posts but none properly describe my situation.

put your steering on full lock and get someone to hold a track rod while you rock the steering back and forth 1/4 turn on the steering wheel, any slight clonk felt and heard from the track rod means the inner track rod joints have play, ends get replaced for MOTs, inner joints don't as they are not on the MOT.

You can't adjust the rack and they don't really wear that much, it's all the other stuff, steering column joint, suspension top mounts, bottom ball joints.

For 20 quid a side you can get new pattern complete track rods for a 4cyl car, so worth doing anyway if they are original.

A 2l 16v rack would need the matching UJ from the steering column to the rack, as the number of splines on the fitting to the rack changed in 1992 when the 2L 16v came out, that's the only difference though.

It's possible I suppose that the valving on one side of the rack has a problem, so you would get more assistance one way than the other but I'd check and replace all the easier stuff first.

Ok, I have had it looked at and the garage has traced down the steering column and UJ and has identified that the movement is coming from the rack.

I have a 2.0l rack + UJ that I am certain of the milage and also have a 1.8 rack on the way (that I don't know the history of) just in case the 2.0 has any issues.

So just to make sure, the 2.0 rack will fit the 1.8 Corrado if I also swop the UJ? I won't encounter any problems with the PAS pipes or the UJ attaching to the steering column?

Sorry to ask, but its going in Thursday and I don't want the bill to be any higher than it needs to be because of unforeseen shizz.

Cheers.

put your steering on full lock and get someone to hold a track rod while you rock the steering back and forth 1/4 turn on the steering wheel, any slight clonk felt and heard from the track rod means the inner track rod joints have play, ends get replaced for MOTs, inner joints don't as they are not on the MOT.

If the ball joint on the track rod itself is worn you will get play at the wheel - loads so would therefore fail the MOT.

Sounds like you've found the issue though - well worth going to the fixed steering column to replace the adjustable, TT / R32 Front WB bushes are another good handling mod.

Another good way to check if this is the culprit is lock the steering and move the wheel from side to side while looking at the road wheels - they should move and this should be easily visible, if they appear to move only a couple of mm then the column has play.

Ok, I have had it looked at and the garage has traced down the steering column and UJ and has identified that the movement is coming from the rack.

I have a 2.0l rack + UJ that I am certain of the milage and also have a 1.8 rack on the way (that I don't know the history of) just in case the 2.0 has any issues.

So just to make sure, the 2.0 rack will fit the 1.8 Corrado if I also swop the UJ? I won't encounter any problems with the PAS pipes or the UJ attaching to the steering column?

Sorry to ask, but its going in Thursday and I don't want the bill to be any higher than it needs to be because of unforeseen shizz.

Cheers.

yep, only difference is the number of splines on the rack input shaft, both 22 on the 2L rack and 36 on the 1.8, so you need the UJ from the appropriate age of car. The end of the UJ that attaches to the bottom of the steering column is the same on both types.