Sign in to follow this  
Ralphead

Oil pressure

The oil light on my 1.8 16v has been coming on intermittently along with a beeper. I have found that this is likely to be the sender on the head at fault as oil level is ok. Saying that the top of my dipstick is broken but there's plenty there..

But I thought I'd cut to the chase and fit a proper pressure gauge. Does the car have wiring for this? If not does anyone know what kind of sender I'd need please?

Doubt the wiring is there if it wasn't originally fitted.

As to the sender it really depends on the gauge you get (how high it reads) and get a sender to suit. The other crucial thing is the thread diameter and pitch need to be correct. I won't even hazard a guess for a 16v as I don't have one - I'm sure someone will come up with the answer shortly. There's a fitting guide somewhere on here - although it relates to the G60 and VR6 I'm sure the 16v won't be much different if at all.

You will have to run in the wires to the sender, 12 volt point and earth. It wasn't standard to leave it redundant in the looms.

Thank you. I've done some digging and found the t piece I'll need for a new sender and some suitable gauges. However the ones I'm looking at don't have senders with them, so will any pressure sender work with any gauge? Assuming they're both 12 volt and will fit the car.

To get correct readings, senders need to match ie. 5 bar = 5 bar gauge, 10bar.....

If mixed they still work but scaling is 200% or 50% depending on match.

I see, so could I use a second oe sender connected to the original with a t-piece to run a gauge? Or are they simply an on/off device?

you need to check what oil pressure you have at the minute, i would get it checked out at a garage, the kr engine has been known for bottom end shells being worn out at higher mileages and oil pumps, play it safe,

Oh great. It's done 122k and the top ends rattly. It's back in for a re-test on Monday, I'll have them check it then. Do you know what it should be?

Dependent on oil grade but 10w40 & 15w40 should give you 4 bar (60psi) above 3,000 rpm when fully warmed up (90'C oil temp) and 2 bar (30psi) at idle on a day when air temp is 15'C to 20'C.

Official minimum spec. allowed is 2.0bar (30psi) at 80'C oil temp. at 2,000 rpm.