Sign in to follow this  
Rams

What are the options? Been offered an R32 2003 3.2

I really dont feel alone with taking this on, great support as usual!

I will be building the the idea in my head, getting everything thats required, once its all there, drop it all off to my mechanic and help where I can. I will be overseeing the whole lot and taking photos, you know all the hard stuf like making tea and coffee! Would my new chains and timing gear fit the r32? I have the MK4 tensioner and top pad.......

Need to look into the manifolds now, the mocal can be sourced easily enough, the engine and required bits are available. I would like to send the loom to someone thats done it and knows what they are doing. Then it makes life easier for my mechanic. Thats also why I want everything to land on the mounts so he can go about keeping everything tidy and factory which he is superb for. Hes already had the engine out of my Avensis that I bought for my gfriend, stripped it all, spent 3 days on it, some till stupid oclock, like 3 and 4 am when I said to him, come on, lets call it a day! Had all the bottom end off, timing gear off, drive shafts out, automatic gearbox off, replaced the crank, bearings and con rod and put it all back together and charged me £300.

So the R32 should be plug and play by the time I've sourced everything, £800 on engine, manifold? Wiring loom, read around £300, but might get my mechanic on it????? depends whats involved? £80 to £100 to remove it all from donor car and maybe another £150 to put it all in. Theres the mocal, couple of hundred pounds, slim line fan, Im guessing silmilar? Plus manifold, £3/400? And engine repair depending whats required. So a couple of thousand im guessing. My mechanic is super cheap, I always give him more than he asks. He keeps saying to me, '' You really love this car don't you''. I reply saying,'' one day...... it will fly'' lol!

Any web sites I should be looking at for Manifold? Slim line fan and mocal?

I have kept the funds aside for the purchase, as soon as I know its mine and in my mechanics workshop, the shopping will begin. Even if it takes me a month to get all the bits organised, so be it. I can keep driving the vr then once im ready, I can sell my current engine.

I used dubpower for the exhaust manifold and south west in car tech for the loom. Both guys are top notch and know there stuff. Tell them i pointed you their way and they'll look after you.

Ive been ummm ing rrr ing on what to do engine wise. My engine runs very well, clutch is great, polished manifold etc but showing signs of chain tap, but not major.

The offered R32 seller has responded saying he would like to get the engine looked at first so he can sell it to me knowing what the issues are..... I offered the money he wanted but now says he would be irresponsible of him to sell it with out knowning whats wrong.

So I thought, well, if hes going to take his time, I would explore making my VR turbo ready, do the obd2 and so on.......

But I feel that the route im definately going to take is, replace my chain and timing components, do the OBD2 which I now have the inlet, loom, throttle body, just need he ecu but should have one sorted by next week and get my guy to put it all in and just enjoy a well running vr6.

Start sourcing the r32/ r36 drive train and clutch and engine and once I have all the pieces, get it made into 4 wheel drive, r32/r36 with a nice cam, exhaust and then look at forced feeding.

Im now looking at the awd set ups to learn whats required and what happens with the fuel tank etc. If the r32/r36 from this guy becomes good, the whole car is at my disposal as I have first refusal.

Then i will have a obd2 vr6 with recent replaced chains and tensioners etc for sale which someone wanting to upgrade their 2.9 will have it all ready and waiting and should help me towards some of the r32/r36 stuff needed.

So, on with getting chains done, getting the re spray finished and becoming OBD 2 for now. I feel happier now and know what I have to get on with.