Sign in to follow this  
Anavrin

Standard VR6 - Where do I start?

Hi Guys

This is my first post on here, I've wanted a VR6 for a few years now and I'm now about to get one :-) its only been used at weekends for the last nine years, its M reg, 90K miles on the clock, im not the most technical when it comes to mechanics etc, so starting with a standard VR6 - what would you guys reccomend I check/upgrade?, I was thinking Brakes all round and suspension but I see from other posts on here there are loads of things that can be changed or upgraded, I would also like to spend abit of cash under the bonnet but not go overboard so basically I'm looking for performance tips on air filter, spark plugs, etc or anything that will improve performance/reliability without being too technical and without spending a small fortune!

Regards Marc

Other good bit of advice is to try to get to a meet and have a passenger seat in some of the cars to give you an idea of what the chassis mods feel like,

But brakes and suspension refresh is good advice.

288 front brakes are a very good cost effective upgrade, its not so much the increased disc diameter (only 9mm) but the much bigger pad swept area that he larger calipers give, the difference is huge.

312's use the same calipers as the 288 but then your getting increased leverage on the size of the discs and the ability to disipate heat more effectively with the bigger discs.

The first thing I'd upgrade would be the headlights. It's not until you drive a Corrado at night in the country that you realise how piss poor the originals are. You can buy a wiring loom and bulbs for about £40 on e-bay.

There's a member on here that will make one for you. Search Headlight + loom or something like that.

Next thing to upgrade imo is the wipers. Many people do the lupo conversion others the audi TT conversion. Both consist of 2 drivers arms and 2 drivers wiper blades. I've done the TT conversion myself and they're so much better then the OEM wipers. Only issue ive found is, if you use them when the screen is near dry they do drag on the screen and can strain the motor. But simply dont use them when the screen isnt wet, or squirt some water.