Sign in to follow this  
carrots

1.8 16v oil leak

my next job is an oil leak on my 1.8 16v.it seems to be comeing from near the cambelt area.do the rocker covers go often

Speaking from experience with an ABF 2 litre engine which is similar, the gasket gets hard and brittle with age, so get a new one which comes with the new semi-circular seals. The gasket is prone to leak if you over-tighten the holding down nuts, or tighten them un-evenly. Tighten them as you would a cylinder head, progressively and working from the middle outwards, and don't allow the gasket to become distorted or squeezed out

It may also be the semi-circular seals leaking, the ones that block the openings where the camshaft bearings are line-bored. Make sure that they are a snug fit in their recesses before you put the gasket over the studs and take care to get the locating tabs absolutely spot on. Obviously, get all traces of the old gasket off the machined faces of the head and the cover before you put the new one on.

The worst part of the job in my opinion is taking off the inlet manifold, especially the bolts around the bulkhead side but they are all well and truly tight being steel into aluminium. Ideally you should replace the gasket where the 2 halves of the manifold are joined and the throttle body/manifold joint as well if you split that one. With the manifold taken of, stuff kitchen roll paper into the openings of the stubs; you don't want to drop anything down there !

Best wishes

RB