Sign in to follow this  
northernvr6

Engine Rebuild

Hi Boys and girls im after a little help if you can.

You may remember earlier this year i took the engine apart from a rescued c to find this:

vr6crack2-1.jpg

Two nice big cracks right along the block !!

so i sourced a 2nd hand block from a nice local chap who also chucked in a few spares he had lying around (nice guy)

The bores on the block were quite far out so i sent the block away to get bored out to fit my newly imported 83mm wossner pistons.while away i also got the crank checked and all reports were good.

Ok so here comes the problem ive started rbuilding the engine fitted the crank with new bearings and bolts and all was goin well untill it came to the big end bearings. The pistons went in fine slide up and down by hand great but as soon as i torque the rod bolts bown the engine seems to cease as i can no longer turn the engine over even with a 6ft extension bar.

i dont know wether it should be as tight as this?

What could be causing the problem?

Any help will be greatly appretiated.

Thank you in advance.

So you didn't get the crank ground at all? If not, check that you've got standard bearings in there and not +20's or anything. Check the torques for the big ends and maybe measure the ovality of the big ends.

As jonny said, you need to measure the crank and make sure you have the correct shells. Buy some Plastigauge to check you have the correct tolerances.

Hi guys thank you for the replys

I had the similar thought and as i bought a cheap set of big end bearings to start with i thought they must have been the culprit. So i ordered some standard size bearing from vw for £75 tried these in yesterday and still the same i only have to nip the bolts up and the engine locks solid really cant get my head round it. It has to be down to the bearings or the conrods as the main bearings fit perfect so i assume what they told me about the crank was correct?

Im wondering if standard size bearings ive bought arent actually the standard size?

I may have to invest in a micrometer and see whats gone wrong.

Thank you for the replys again lads at least im thinking in the right direction lol

Are you absolutely certain you have the correct cap on each rod and main bearing, and that they are all the right way round? If one's wrong it may cause the engine to seize as you've described....

are you sure that the original crank has never been touched i.e reground with over size shells or anything.

recheck your old shells, see if they fit in ok.

Hi Guys

Serial im pretty sure the caps are all on right but i will double check tonight just in case.

Volksworld if the original crank had had some work done to it you would think with standard bearings in i would have the opposite effect and the crank would be loose :shrug:

Im preety sure then answer will be something to do with the bearings does anyone know what size the standard shells should be ?

Thanks for all your help guys