Sign in to follow this  
fla

audi notchy reverse - suggestions?

Just recently bought a very nice A4 s-line and looking to get it into tip top condition. One issue though the reverse is really quite difficult to engage. On the C its quite straightforward to play around with the cables, a bit of trial and error. Any advice for this one? Its a 54 plate. I'll change the tranny fluid too, as all other gears are a bit stiff as well - would the VW fluid be ok? Any other advice of fluids, parts etc? Thanks

If you have/can find a good knowledgeable dealer, they should be able to advise you on the correct fluid, there's a lot of variations on gearbox oil over the VAG range now, not like the old days when everything had the same stuff, some of the new boxes can be very particular and bind if they've been filled with the wrong stuff.

A dealer should be able to state the correct version of the VAG fully synthetic fluid for your box, should be around 30 quid to fill the box with fully synth, it may have had basic mineral from the factory but don't be fobbed off by the dealer, there will be a fully synthetic version specced for your box too.

ah, thats good to know. I'm picking up the oil and some other fluids from VW tomorrow, so i'll mention the requirement of fully synth tranny fluid.

ah, thats good to know. I'm picking up the oil and some other fluids from VW tomorrow, so i'll mention the requirement of fully synth tranny fluid.

It's more of an option than a requirement, at least on some boxes, a lot of VW parts departments only seem to stock basic mineral oil at a fiver or so a litre, they really need to check a) exactly what your box should have in it and not guess :roll: and b) see if there's any service bulletins that spec a revised grade of synthetic for 'trouble' boxes, I know this is def the case for some TT boxes.