Jim Bowen

Help cleaning engine bay

Anyone got any tips for removing the wax stuff find in the inner wings etc?

Want to clean my bay up properly while car is off the road and finding it slow going with the toothbrush :nuts:

pretty much any solvent seems to shift it, I've used petrol, panel wipe, white spirit etc...

try a small patch first though to make sure it doesn't affect the paint, my 8v is a 1994 car and cellulose thinner dissoves the paint, I thought they would be 2-pack paint but obviously not, should be protected by a 2-pack lacquer in the engine bay though so impervious to just about anything bar paint stripper!

have a look here at my cleaning on the 8v

I used gunk a month or so ago that worked really well just spray in leave then agitate it with a brush the rinse of and a wipe down worked really well

this is the stuff i'm having trouble removing, seems to be thick in all the recessed parts, and a thin layer over the rest

2010-10-04112810.jpg

2010-10-04113518.jpg

removed those pieces by just pulling them off, but the thin layer of it is hard to get off without scraping everywhere

Hmm not sure then maybe jeteashing close to it would blast ot of but then you would have to be careful of engine bits i suppose maybe try a airline with the psi right up and try a blast it off that way

OK then, I'd probably warm it with a hair dryer, scrape off the worst/thickest with a plastic ice scraper and then rub the rest off with some petrol or panel wipe and cotton t-shirt type rags.

I just use the autoglym engine degreaser stuff (it has a citrus smell to it :D )on everything in the recent engine bay clean up I did and wipe off with a cloth. It was fine.

I just left the waxy covering as they are but just gave it a quick wipe. I guess its suppose to be there to protect the engine bay area unless u are going to take it off and re-apply some fresh wax again.

Test

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

congrats, you passed the test :)

i tried to test post in the tapatalk thread but it wouldn't let me, error no 7 kept coming up

I just use the autoglym engine degreaser stuff (it has a citrus smell to it :D )on everything in the recent engine bay clean up I did and wipe off with a cloth. It was fine.

I just left the waxy covering as they are but just gave it a quick wipe. I guess its suppose to be there to protect the engine bay area unless u are going to take it off and re-apply some fresh wax again.

i'd quite like to reapply some fresh stuff, as the old stuff had cracked in places so probably traps water underneath it

wrap all electric bits in tin foil, spary on some gunk, aggitate with a brush or 2, pressure wash it off, do that a few times and it should be pretty clean... then you can go over with tardis, wash and polish and wax it

I used brakecleaner plus a soft natural hair washingup brush. Then mild motorcycle cleaner (does not attack anything, then Turtle car wash, then Turtle Red bottle paint cleaner, then Turtle premium (dark green bottle) car wax. Came up nice. Wear gloves at any time unless you want funy kids.

When I spray with water, I use a garden pressure bottle (pumped by hand - hte one for gardening or toxics), and spray very lightly and softly, no pressure cleaner ever, thanks.

Cheers,

Redfox.