Sign in to follow this  
vwgti

VR6 get rattly after Warm Up!

Just Rebuilt my VR with new chain guides and tensoners,cam followers, ported the head and oil pump, it starts up fine but when the oil temp hits 74+ C degrees the engine becomes rattly, if I rev it to about 3000RPM or so the rattly sound disappears! When i drops to idle the rattly noise appears again! Sound like the cam followers but they are new!

Any help on this appreciated as i am really sad after spending all the dosh and time on it!

New followers can take a while to completely drain of air. I think there is a procedure for bedding them in somewhere, but they will eventually quieten down.

I really hope so, as I have been running a AAA engine ever since I got my corrado and only late last year I manage to find this ABV engine! Decided to renew all gasket,Port head etc.

But why its quiet on start up :scratch: then becomes rattly when the oil warm up!!! Will put back my bumper lights etc and take it for a drive I guess...

I've posted with this kind of issue before, i find my car gets 'chattery' when warm. Sounds just fine cold.

It's not a loud noise, just a kind of cyclical chattering that is similar to tappets, but about 1/4 as loud and not as destructive sounding.

Will try a thicker oil next service ( due soon).

Guys I hope its ok to run my car eventhough its rattly, will put in headlight etc aand give it a run... I am just worried that I might ruin the engine...