Sign in to follow this  
G-Lad

My first European drive - advice please!

Hi Folks,

As I have a week between jobs next week, the girlfriend and I are going to take a ferry to France and nip up to Brugge for a few days. It's not going to be a long drive (only 74miles from Calais to Brugge) but I want to take the Corrado and have my first attempt at driving in Europe.

I've been reading up on this site, to confirm speed limits, general advice and what is compulsory to take and do:

http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-belgium.htm (there are other pages for France too).

The compulsory kit appears to be: (BE = Belgium, FR = France)

Hi Vis jacket (BE & FR)

Warning Triangle (BE & FR)

still need to buy...

Headlamp Convertors (BE & FR)

GB Sticker or Euro GB plates (BE & FR)

Fire Extingusher (BE only)

The recommended additional kit appears to be:

First Aid Kit

Spare Bulb Kit

Euro coins for tolls (FR, BE is toll free)

I have already done the following:

Got Euro Breakdown cover with my Insurance Co (Adrian Flux)

Informed my Insurance Co of my plans, dates and countries being visited

I will also take the following with me:

Driving Licenses (both parts)

V5 to prove ownership

Motor Insurance Policy (in lieu of Green Card, which I am told no longer gets issued in UK)

plus of course my Passport and EHIC (new type of E111)

...and the Mrs, and some spare kegs. :nuts:

Does anyone have any good advice? :dorky:

I'm hoping to have a big company car by next summer and want to drive over to some music festivals, plus maybe head down to Le Mans in the C next spring.

Chris

PS: I have driven about half a mile in Gibraltar, but that's it!

looks like your sorted !

only thing i can say is don't rely too much or your EHIC (E111), it's quite frankly rubbish. I'd always have seperate medical insurance... I've been caught twice and ended up paying.

have a good few dayz

Bruge is nice. I've been a couple of times when on the way to Mania. Sample the waffles whilst you are there, a few places that do them, mmmm. I think we just put tape over the lights the last time we went over, the reflector things were rubbish and stuck to the glass badly so you couldnt get them off when you got back.

I thought the spare fuses and bulbs etc were compulsory too?

Can't remember if its France or Germany, but one of them you need to have a flourscent jacket

( really cheap from Halfords/GSF) its just a light bright yellow pullover top that goes your existing clothes.

Can't remember if its France or Germany, but one of them you need to have a flourscent jacket

( really cheap from Halfords/GSF) its just a light bright yellow pullover top that goes your existing clothes.

Apparently:

"Visibility Vests are now compulsory in Belgium. They are also compulsory in Austria, France, Italy, Norway, Portugal and Spain (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU). The rules vary from country to country concerning number of vests required and whether they should be carried in the car or boot. Common sense suggests that there should be a vest for every occupant, and that the vests should be carried in the car, and put on before getting out. Do this and you will not have a problem."

I thought the spare fuses and bulbs etc were compulsory too?

I'd like to know if anyone else believes this is the case.

I have been lead to believe that:

"First-aid kit is advised, but not compulsory.

Replacement bulb set recommended."

Cheers!

I've been over to shows in belgium & holland a few times now and have only ever put a gb sticker on the car..

dont get pulled over or brake down and you wont need any of the other bits!

my main advice would be to get the eurotunnel not a ferry. its much more car friendly and so much quicker.

there are no tolls on the road to belgium.

I went to Brussels a few years ago with the mrs and we spent a day in Brugge. Both of us found it really boring compared to brussels and Antwerp.. however, there is a cafe which does the most amazing hot chocolate of anywhere.. check out De Proeverie when you're there.

I got back from France 2 weeks ago. Took the ferry in the Bro's C. If I'm correct its dropped 35mm. Also had 3 adults and more luggage that a well whipped mule could carry. Anyway, it got up onto the top ramp on the ferry with only a minor splitter scrape (90mm). Took about 1.5 - 2 hours to cross ( :offtopic: Had a nice plate of chips to pass the time).

Also in France, the speed limit on motorways drops by 20km when it rains. Just something to be aware of.

I got back from France 2 weeks ago. Took the ferry in the Bro's C. If I'm correct its dropped 35mm. Also had 3 adults and more luggage that a well whipped mule could carry. Anyway, it got up onto the top ramp on the ferry with only a minor splitter scrape (90mm). Took about 1.5 - 2 hours to cross ( :offtopic: Had a nice plate of chips to pass the time).

Also in France, the speed limit on motorways drops by 20km when it rains. Just something to be aware of.

Cheers, hopefully my skinny girlf and standard ride should = no scrapes!! :lol:

Spare fuses.

Oil and coolant.

Cold hard cash for any on the spot speeding fines.

Room in the boot for cheap beer to bring home.

Also check the fuel situation in France, I hear they have been having a spot of bother recently :)

(If you can afford it...

spare battery or charger pack...or at the very least jump leads!

spare sparks and leads)

I'd recommend taking photocopies of your driving license, insurance details and V5. I've always done this as I've heard that the gendarme have the habit of confiscating paperwork - I imagine the task of trying to get everything back if it's taken away would be huge...

Also, don't use any laser-sensing speed camera devices (such as a Road Angel). The gendarme take a very strong stance against these and I've seen them force foreign drivers to put them under their front wheel and drive over it to ensure its knackered - so as soon as you get off the ferry take it off the dash! Sat-navs are fine.

I think you've covered everything else pretty much! Enjoy the trip :)

Tom