Sign in to follow this  
SamG40

Wing mirror knocked off

Some tit thought it would be a good idea to knock all the wing mirrors off the cars down my missus's sisters street the other night whilst the missus was there visiting. They have knocked the passenger mirror clean off its base and left it swinging on the wires which has of course stratched the paint on the door. I've read a thread on here where someone has said they've mad a new column for the middle when the same thing happened to them (cant find the thread now). What I'm asking is could I buy another random wing mirror and take it apart and get the column out of it to replace the broken on our car? Anyone know how to do this please? This would obviously be easier and quicker to do than replace it and get it sprayed to match etc.

I've got 1 spare wing mirror if you want it though it is drivers side so I'm thinking it might not be any good to you.

Cheers Judith that might be useful yet!

Could I take the column mentioned in the thread below out of an existing mirror and swap it into mine? Thus saving having to get a replacement mirror sprayed up? Or could I swap the coloured casings if I got another mirror?

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=73810&p=858421&hilit=lathe+mirror#p858421

The metal work and the spring that allows the mirror to be turned in/out looks like it can be removed but that spring looks a bu&&er to deal with without the leverage of the mirror casing itself.

Have you taken the broken one off and had a look at whats involved? Got nothing to loose other than possibly having a semi useful mirror on the car vs having nothing at all.

Exactly the same thing happened to me a few years back and I done what you are planning on doing.

I kept existing outer casings and replaced innerds with new wing mirror........I cannot really remember all the in and outs to the procedure so cant really help you much other than to say its is defo possible - I just remember there is a big inner spring that is a royal pain in the backside to refit.

I also have a spare mirror if you want.

Good luck wih it and stay patient :)

Cheers Judith that might be useful yet!

Could I take the column mentioned in the thread below out of an existing mirror and swap it into mine? Thus saving having to get a replacement mirror sprayed up? Or could I swap the coloured casings if I got another mirror?

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=73810&p=858421&hilit=lathe+mirror#p858421

Just realised I posted a few times in that thread :lol: