Sign in to follow this  
jonrb

Heater matrix - is it a standard part?

Simple and quick question.

I think the Heater Matrix on my 1995 Corrado VR6 is leaking (classic signs of misting up and smelling of coolant).

I've been offered a Heater Matrix from a Mk2 Golf by a colleague. Will this fit or does the Corrado use a different part?

Cheers

Jon

it will fit, but don't use a mk2 part, you want a mk3 matrix which is stronger, it's the mk2 ones that VW fitted by-pass valves to the feed and return hose, to prevent them exploding if the system became blocked or over-pressurised.

it will fit, but don't use a mk2 part, you want a mk3 matrix which is stronger, it's the mk2 ones that VW fitted by-pass valves to the feed and return hose, to prevent them exploding if the system became blocked or over-pressurised.

Hmmm. Dilemma as my colleague only wants beer money for the mk2 part.

Thanks for the info though!

Surely for such a pain in the arse to fit item you only want to do it once so just get a new one rather than a spare old used one.

Seems it's used (it's come out of a Mk2 Golf that was broken for spares) and it's still in its housing. So it's a toss-up whether to use it or the pattern part. I could spend as much labour on getting it out of its housing as the price difference between it and the new part.

Edit: And as Portent says, the majority of the cost is going to be labour so I should probably get the new part.

i done this job last year and although not to difficult a real long process get a new one its worth it in the end .

Brand new ones from VAG are ridiculiously expensive. GSF matrix is a much better option and they are pretty good as well. Not a job i want to do more than once.

Brand new ones from VAG are ridiculiously expensive. GSF matrix is a much better option and they are pretty good as well. Not a job i want to do more than once.

It's cost vs benefit though, isn't it? Let's face it, these are old cars now and at the age where you begin to wonder if replacement parts will outlast the car (or at least your ownership of it).

However, I agree - the GSF one is the way forward. The second-hand Mk2 item will be a false economy and the VAG one an unjustifiable extravagance.

make sure you get the valeo though, the cheaper chinese version has been known to crack within weeks :shock:

make sure you get the valeo though, the cheaper chinese version has been known to crack within weeks :shock:

Eeeps! :shock:

Incidentally, GSF quote £50 all-in for the part (#178VG0041 - manufacturer not stated).

ECP are £29 all-in with free delivery, part # 214440011 and, again, manufacturer not stated.

best thing to do is go down to a store and get them to dig the part out, valeo label=good, chinese writing=bad :(