Sign in to follow this  
Bazmcc

9a decat - practicality, functionality, driveability.

I just put a 4 branch manifold/decat onto my 1994 9a.

I've noticed for a start it's louder but it's not too bad. But I have a few questions.

How much power is it actually likely to add (I have a catback milltek behind it)?

Will my fuel consumption suffer?

Will I need to put a CAT in for MOT?

Can I fit a CAT between the 4 branch and the first silencer?

Do I just leave the O2 sensor out of the equation completely?

Will it run ok without a sensor plugged in?

Will I fail emissions?

Sorry for the barage of questions but this is the best place to ask.

Yes you probably will fail the MOT due to emissions. If its registered after 92 you'll need to put a CAT on.

As for the power gains, they will be minimal if anything. The Decat should have a hole to put the 02 sensor in, you cant just delete the 02 sensor.

I noticed a much better throttle response after having a powerflow (decat) fitted, never had a power increase confirmed though. It did need the cat put back in for the MOT and that became an issue but i think that was due to the shoddy powerflow workmanship.

Got it from a forum member on here. I think I gave him £140 delivered. It was brand new and still in the wrapping. Very well made piece of kit too.

I think I've just developed a bloody louding ticking noise.

It goes away when i hold it at 1500 rpm. It only seems to tick loud when I'm accelerating when it's out on the road. Otherwise it's perfectly smooth and quiet.

Can anyone tell if I have a busted lifter just by the sound? or is it something to do with the 4 branch.

Click below for the video.

th_IMG_0389small.jpg

my 4 branch was noisier than normal, but nothing like that my man, more of an echo'y metal rattle.

i'd guess lifter from that vid.

oil supply perhaps, as I understand it lifters need a certain amount of oil before they begin to 'float' maybe supply only becomes sufficient for a busted lifter once over certain revs.

I understand. I'd have thought the spring would have made them all contact the cam the same. but I suppose if the lifter is sunk in the center then that contact patch will change. I have a spare set of KR cams in the garage so I think it's time for that timing belt and cam change.