Sign in to follow this  
Abdul

Short shifter, not side to side, shorter throw...

As above really, been doing some reading etc and would really like a shifter kit that shortens the throw but not the side to side movement. I know someone on the forums used to make the kit.

Anymore still about?

Abdul

I'd also be interested... I was looking into the B&M kit but apparently they have stopped making it,

I have the B&M Racing. Superb build quality and function. Pretty sure it's the 45106 model that's for the Corrado VR. Stealth Racing sell these.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Volkswagen/45106-Precision-Sport-Shifter

http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/installation_instruction/78.pdf

An alternative is from Neuspeed, try Awsome Gti. Cheaper available, where the OE shifter is modified.

Adski, if Vince can't get hold of them then a quick google came up with:

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=15259035

HTH

See i've driven a vr with a B&M and found the side to side movement was way to short and it was really notchy.

I actually like how much the stock shift travels from side to side, its just that the throw is rediculous.

Thanks though Dom.

you can chop the shaft and rethread it so its much shorter, has a similar effect and costs bugger all.

id reccomend getting a spare to do it on though incase you dont like it.

you can chop the shaft and rethread it so its much shorter, has a similar effect and costs bugger all.

mimjed has got a good point. That should be your perfect solution though not much OE shaft to trim... standard length doesn't exactly impress the ladies :norty:

mimjed has got a good point. That should be your perfect solution though not much OE shaft to trim... standard length doesn't exactly impress the ladies :norty:

:lol: :lol: :lol: neither does smaller id imagine

:lol: :lol: :lol: neither does smaller id imagine

I think ill give mine the chop tommorow... I might just take off half an inch or so to begin with.... will report back here.

Is doesnt shorten the "throw", it just reduces the movement at the top of the shaft. I had a modified OE one that was probably halfway bewteen the standard and B&M one and was perfect. Saying that Ive got a B&M on on mine (I think) and its fine.

Is doesnt shorten the "throw", it just reduces the movement at the top of the shaft. I had a modified OE one that was probably halfway bewteen the standard and B&M one and was perfect. Saying that Ive got a B&M on on mine (I think) and its fine.

Interesting, are the B&M's adjustable?

is this what your after lifetime warrenty and a new genuine vw parts, im yet to fit it but if enough intersest the supplier would do discount on 20 or over will have to check some of emails for prices.

I have an 02J shift tower with 02M gearstick and cables and an Audi TT shift weight, its a great set up and not very expensive at all provided you can get hold of the shift tower. Nice short throw and good side to side. There is a post on here somewhere showing you what you need and how to do it.... I'll try and dig it out.

Here is what you need:

Gearlever/shifter cables - complete from mk4 R32 or 4mo with parallel pin ends on the cables

Shifter tower in gearbox from 5spd 02J mk4 platform car (must have the same pin fitment to match cables)

TT fore-aft shift lever see http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread ... t=tt+shift

I have been using the Neuspeed short shifter for over 3 yrs now.

It is a whole assembly brand new (like the one on the picture) that reduces the throw almost 50%. The shifts are still perfect, although the speed of the shift is always limited by the time the synchros engage. By definition the shifting will be a little harder than stock but still far from hard.

All shifters that move the pivot point to shorten the throw will be a little harder to move, and will reduce the throw whatever amount, but will not reduce the side to side movement.

For that matter I installed a part from Gruvenparts that does just that, and both toguether go from great to perfect. In my opnion is one on the best 3 things of my car.

You must remember though to align the cables after loosing them and using or doing it with the correct vag tool (i took it to a a dealer) to do so improves on whatever we estimated to be good by trial and error by 100%.

Do it well and you will never look back