Sign in to follow this  
bristolbaron

Heater fan seized? Killing 1 bird with 2 stones..

I've got 2 issues with my 8v daily..

1. Wet carpets passenger side.

2. Heater fan not working at all.

First port of call was to change the thermal fuse. I've taken apart the fan housing and it's very wet all around the seal. this confirms my thoughts that the foliage seal needs replacing so should solve problem 1.

However, I've taken the fan out to change the fuse and the fan doesn't spin at all. It will turn if moved by hand but feels very stiff, is this normal? If so I'll crack on with doing the fuse, otherwise I guess I'm looking for a replacement fan.. any idea of the cost?

does the fan spin/work when on forth speed??

get the fuse from maplins think it was 80p. i know that you can get the fans from pages/part co etc, not sure on price but dont think there a lot.

one of my next jobs is the seal on the foilage tray. got that from VW the other week not got round to fittin it.

does the fan spin/work when on forth speed??

get the fuse from maplins think it was 80p. i know that you can get the fans from pages/part co etc, not sure on price but dont think there a lot.

one of my next jobs is the seal on the foilage tray. got that from VW the other week not got round to fittin it.

Nope, fan doesn't come on at all. I've already bought a fuse and soldering iron today from maplin but don't think thats gonna do the trick now. Locating a resistor is gonna be the hard bit I reckon..

So i've replaced the foliage seal, nice and quick job with no issues.. however I bought a replacement fan & resistor and its still not working.

It could be that the replacement also needs the fuse replacing but im reluctant to do this in case it still doesnt work and i need to take it back.

Any possible other causes?

A search brought this up - could be useful for someone else searching in the future!

or our very own WIKI !

http://the-corrado.wik.is/Categories/In ... eplacement

does the fan run with 12v directly to it's connectors? (couple of bits of wire straight to your battery)

if not, then you need to trace the main fuseboard fuse for the blower fan and the feeds in/out of your fan speed control switch

I found the problem! their was a dodgy connection to one side of the resistor.. I've fitted a new connector and the fan now works.

It's now working on setting 1, but works fine on 2,3, & 4 so that'll do me for the winter!

Hmm.. turns out the fan now works, but the heater doesn't! Just went for a 200 mile drive and came back frozen!

I have no heat coming through the vents at all and the cars water temp showed at minimum for the whole journey.

Fluid level is fine, matrix pipes both warm, as are all others. Carpets are dry, so I'm not thinking there is a matrix fault.

Using the search it seems my 'flaps' might not be opening, but that wouldn't explain water temp being minimum.. It was between 1&3 degrees outside during the journey, but i'd have thought it still would have moved. Possibly thermostat not opening?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Baz

Hmm.. turns out the fan now works, but the heater doesn't! Just went for a 200 mile drive and came back frozen!

I have no heat coming through the vents at all and the cars water temp showed at minimum for the whole journey.

Fluid level is fine, matrix pipes both warm, as are all others. Carpets are dry, so I'm not thinking there is a matrix fault.

Using the search it seems my 'flaps' might not be opening, but that wouldn't explain water temp being minimum.. It was between 1&3 degrees outside during the journey, but i'd have thought it still would have moved. Possibly thermostat not opening?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Baz

Anyone?