Sign in to follow this  
Neokitz

1992 post august G60 with 1H engine..cat or no cat for mot??

Hi folks.

I have a query surrounding my g60 with a 1H Golf rallye engine. The car is a post august 92 car with a cat that was originally fitted with the usual G60 with a PG engine code. At some point in the cars life the PG has been removed and replaced with a 1H. The 1H was the earlier G60 engine fitted in the Golf rallye and the earlier golf G60's

my car is fitted with a cat and because its a post august 92 car its normally required to have a cat fitted to pass the emmisions on an mot. the 1H engine i have fitted was made 88/89 iirc and didn't need a cat in the vehicle it was originally fitted to. I have read somewhere that as long as you can prove this to the tester then it will be tested as a non cat.

its always been mot'd with a cat but can i remove my cat and it will still pass an mot or not???

Neo

Are you talking about the cat in your avatar?

....Sorry couldn't resist.

As Far as I understand, Cat's had to be installed on cars as standard post 1992. A post 92 car can still be MOT'ed without a Cat but will need to pass emissions without. - I've only read this info, never tested it.

My late/August G60 has passed no problem for the past 5/6 years without a cat 8) The g60's actually run very low emissions at idle if set up correctly.

Neil.

mine is a K plate Neil and presume i would need a cat for the mot . I have found out that it doesn't have to have a cat fitted by law but post 92 cars needed one fitted to pass the ammeneded emmissions tests. However i have heard of a few ways to get a later registered car thru without a cat..............My mate has an 07 plate mitzy evo 9. its 3 years old now and my mate has ran it for the last 2 without its cat.. when he had it mot'd, the tester couldn't find emissions data for the car because, although it was bought from a UK mitsubishi dealer it is classed as an 'import' so it passed without a cat.

another way to get round it is to fit an engine from a vehicle that was manufactured pre 92..each engine has its own emissions data...and although the chassis number, registration dictates the age of the car, the mot goes on engine type.. some engines made before the cat legislation, some after etc.. the 1H was made much earlier than 92 so in effect and as my car normally requires a cat to be fitted...it now shouldn't???????

the centre bit of my milltek is blowing where the cat is and its an ideal oportunity to ditch the cat :)

Yep, that's what i've heard/read myself. That the emissions test should be done according to the engine fitted to the car, It sounds right to me, but would be good for someone to confirm. 8)

Neil.