Sign in to follow this  
WigsVR6

Engine use after running in

Hi guys hope someone on here can advise me. I've just completed a 1000 mile run in after having new piston rings/timing chains/tensioner/clutch replacement. I've had the oil changed today so I'm raring to go after only reving the engine upto a max of 3000, which took 3 months to accomplish. I can't wait to give it some stick and listen to that sound track again. But is it as simple as that? I've heard that the ECU "learns" (for want of a better term) that after a bout of light use not to enable the engine to run at full tilt.Is this correct? If so what do I need to do to get things working as thay should?

Thanks Alan

If it's just rings you've had done, should be fine to give some stick already, but to be sure, give it lots of medium acceleration followed immediately by long stints of over-run. Find a quiet road and do it in 3rd. This will cut the rings into the honing (if not already) both in vacuum and acceleration.

Don't worry about the ECU. It's 'learning' stuff is over hyped. All it needs to know is in the base maps already, so just drive it normally chap.

Cheers Kev I'll do exactly that find a nice b road and third gear sounds like a match made in heaven :D TBH I wasnt sure whether the question was a valid one in the first place regarding the ECU. Always good to get reasurrance though.