Sign in to follow this  
richlyons

anyone crashed in the snow?

I work for an electricity company down here in Cornwall and was out today, I'm currently driving a brand new mercedes hoist about 90k's worth.

Driving between jobs a bypass that i needed to use was closed so I took a short cut through a small village, I was over half way up the narrow hill on the way out of the village when I lost all traction came to a stop and started sliding back down the hill.

My ass was twitching big style, I somehow managed to keep out the hedges either side and finally came to a stop after having slid for the best part of 10 meters.

The look me and my mate gave each other said it all, boy were we lucky!

Man, i bet that was brown trousers time! :lol:

Not something i'd like to repeat any time soon, we laughed 10 minutes later but as you say we were both crapping it as the event unfolded!

Not crashed in the snow and I'm hoping that it stays that way but my grandad is moving house and my gran has been taken I'll in hospital in Sheffield so I've come up from Bournemouth to Rotherham and it's a complete White out up here, not enjoying the snow at all as the cars taking a hammering being so low and on stretched tyres. dreading the amount of scratches that the snow/ice/grit will be doing to the car :( I wouldn't drive if it wasn't needed but wishing I had little metro or something now :)

How the car looked this morning!

ac749195.jpg

:lol: Bout 40 like me i'm guessing, hope things go all ok though mate. guess you could do without this weather full stop :?

Lol, I'm only 25 but I try to look after the car like my unborn child 8) and driving it in this weather is killing me, if I had some old banger I wouldn't be bothered but everytime I hit high snow my splitter is getting hammered and trying to pull the car up on an invisible curb I know will have damaged the wheels, just pains me to care so much about the car that I'm not enjoying it like I would be an old run about!

Wish it was back home under cover but have to pop to Sheffield hospital and also move the last bits from my grandads house and get him some food shopping as buses aren't running and he gave his new passat to my mum! Gotta love family tho!

Just hope m1 clears up for me to get back down south where there's not even a drop of snow a about!

lol it's been snowing almost non-stop for about 48hrs now here in the south... this is Crawley a few hours ago

Corrado016.jpg

Not crashed in the snow and I'm hoping that it stays that way but my grandad is moving house and my gran has been taken I'll in hospital in Sheffield so I've come up from Bournemouth to Rotherham and it's a complete White out up here, not enjoying the snow at all as the cars taking a hammering being so low and on stretched tyres. dreading the amount of scratches that the snow/ice/grit will be doing to the car :( I wouldn't drive if it wasn't needed but wishing I had little metro or something now :)

ac749195.jpg

Whereabouts in Rotherham is that?

Saw a Defender pulling a Suzuki Jimny up our hill earlier... followed by a gasworks van with a digger where they had unloaded the digger and were using it to drag the van and trailer up the hill.

Corrado ain't gonna be driven any time soon! Will try and get a pic after the nice hour an a bit walk home tonight!

When i think back now to the first years i was driving my 1.2 clio a few of us always used to mess a bout hand breaking in the snow and ice on car parks and stuff im sure theres plenty of us that did out there and also lots of people who complained at us for it asweal but in the long run now i think it actually learnt me how to controll and correct a car a lot better than if i had been sensible and not done

Dont think id do it in the rado now but glad i learnt back then as too now keep the car out of bad situation

ac749195.jpg

Whereabouts in Rotherham is that?

It's on monks close in kimberworth at my dads house

Whereabouts do you work Ben? I've got to try and get to the Northern General now. Not looking forward to it.

We've put the Corrado in the garage out of the way. As has been said previously, I dont like the risk that one little bump could kill it.

Work at Eastern Airways, Humberside Airport.

Here in Lincolnshire is apparently some of the worst in the country. Caistor (where my flat is) apparently made it onto the national news... I last was at the flat on Tuesday morning... been hotel'ing at the airport ever since, working til 2am then back in again early in the morning.

Car is still there, the snow is above the bonnet, and last I looked out the window it was STILL snowing... hopefully can get to the dual carriage way and then I'll be able to at least make it back to Sheff city centre, even if I have to park up and walk the rest of the way.

"im sure theres plenty of us that did out there "

Fully agree with that i bloody love it, id do it in the corrado.... i love it.

It does teach you and make you better at driving i have to say.

I see loads of people do it, even police.... its fun.

Snow birngs people to being children again in many ways, snow men, snow balls or even driving like a knob.

Its all good and alot better than normal daily life, brings difference to daily life with excitment, couldnt be better.

Doesnt help me though as at the moment my car is frozen at a garage as there was no anti freeze in my car when i sent it there which means i cant go and have fun (in some obviously private car parks).....

How can you blame people for enjoying the snow, its their car, its what it does and why should they not do it?

Something that brings you smiles should obviously be appreciated.

jsc, your car looks sweet, nice picture.

And the other one too, digg those babys out and go have a play.

:D

And on the metro comment, i agree too i want one too would be fun, that or a polo, their pretty fun in the snow...

Annything which is cheap and doesnt mind being taken over a few curbs... aha

When i think back now to the first years i was driving my 1.2 clio a few of us always used to mess a bout hand breaking in the snow and ice on car parks and stuff im sure theres plenty of us that did out there and also lots of people who complained at us for it asweal but in the long run now i think it actually learnt me how to controll and correct a car a lot better than if i had been sensible and not done

Dont think id do it in the rado now but glad i learnt back then as too now keep the car out of bad situation

Yeah I think most of us will have done that, and I agree, you learn more about car control doing that...

I used to do it in the retail park car park in the evening, not late at night, but like 7pm when everything is closed and the carparks empty... loads of open space, no kerbs or lampposts to hit, no other cars or even worse people that you could hit... whilst having fun, you also learn so much more about understeer, oversteer, spinning, drifting etc, so that when it happens on the road, you can feel it coming, predict it more and the "recovery" is more reflexive than it would be to someone who doesn't know immediately what's happening.

There's been a few times where I know that if I hadn't been "fooling about" in the car park, then I'd have completely lost the back end and smashed up mine and other peoples cars...

Big difference between having fun and being wreckless, and we were never wreckless in the carpark, and certainly not on the road, cos if you are, then you'll kill yourself and/or others in weather like this

Not sure where to put this post but could be related - Focus (daily)... Put antifreeze in the wrong tank so had to have it pumped out - Put it in the powersteering tank instead (t*thead) Looked like the radiator one from my previous cars, and never thought to follow the pipes to the front ( I was freezing & not thinking straight). The lids were covered in carbon dirt so it never shouted out at me I was doing anything wrong. If I hadn't broken the lid off the powersteering one, and inspected the damage I'd never thought any different - only twigged when rubbing the lid clear.