Sign in to follow this  
Abdul

Engine and gearbox mounts

Hi guys, looking thorough my vr's history they don't seem to have been done recently (154k) and tbh the car does feel a bit sloppy especially at low speeds when changing gears etc.

Anyway, I am by no means qualified to tackle the job myself so how much would you guys say I should pay to have the lot done?

I don't know if it makes a difference but I think I'll go with oe mounts unless someone can recommend a better or cheaper alternative? I don't want cabin vibration etc!

Thanks

Abdul

they're not too hard to do even with basic tools, except the rear mount, which is a bit fiddly. Change the gearbox mount for a Mk2 soild rubber one from GSF, about £15 iirc. Front and rear engine mounts get vw ones, or i believe teh FEBI ones are also quite good, unless someone suggests otherwise?

Yeah just give it a stab yourself - nothing complicated, although can be a bit fiddly ... and even worse if it's minus 5 and you don't have a nice warm garage!

Ehem... Gents... No lol. I've never done anything remotely mechanical in my life other than change a coil pack and a few associated bits and hoses lol.

How many hours labour do you reckon i'm looking at for the lot?

i would think 2-2-5 is plenty mate

Thanks buddy...

Now i need to buy the buggers. Shall i just get the engine mounts from the stealers then yeah?

I would go for VT mounts. Similar in price, but way better. Got front, rear + Golf diesel gb mount on my VR. No noticeable extra vibrations.

Did the rear mount myself a couple of weeks ago and it took around 45 mins, taking it easy ;) Really pretty simple- have a go!

I would go for VT mounts. Similar in price, but way better. Got front, rear + Golf diesel gb mount on my VR. No noticeable extra vibrations.

Did the rear mount myself a couple of weeks ago and it took around 45 mins, taking it easy ;) Really pretty simple- have a go!

Thinking of changing all mine soon Andy as Im in the process of re-furbing a subframe so thought, may as well!! Would like to feel how the VT's differ...would u say u notice the difference? Did u get em from DG?

yes, you definitely notice the difference, they are pricier but inspire confidence in that you feel like you have a better put-together car

DG do them, got the rear one from awesome GTI though as they were offering free postage until Christmas ;) The front one was fitted years ago by a previous owner- reckon it needs replacing though. Think you can just get replacement inserts, but can't find anywhere that does them :(

DG do them, got the rear one from awesome GTI though as they were offering free postage until Christmas ;) The front one was fitted years ago by a previous owner- reckon it needs replacing though. Think you can just get replacement inserts, but can't find anywhere that does them :(

Did u pay £70 for it delivered then, Andy?

does anyone have the dimensions of the inserts? If so, please send them over as i deal with a lot of plastic turning companies and i'll try and get some made up. I'll base them on a hardness of say 60 Shore.

Hasan, sounds like a fantastic idea! Can't help you with dimensions I'm afraid :( Have you checked out the BFI website? Maybe something on there? Such a shame they don't ship internationally- got some excellent stuff available.

had a brief look there - ideally i'd want to take some direct measurements and then get them machined from a billet, so if anyone has access to a new set or a set they're looking to fit in the near future that would be ideal.