Graphite

Graphite's G60 - Project: 8vT - update in first post!

I've been lurking and selling on here for a while now but I never got around to posting a build thread.

Around a year and a half ago after owning a Golf Mk4 4Motion and getting sick of 12 MPG I purchased a rather poorly looked after G60.

The owner had painted various parts of the engine bay in the orange colour Ford use on the ST's, the wash wipe bottle was metallic grey and it wasn't to my taste at all. On the day I bought the car I drove home only to have the gearbox blow up 600 yards from my house. It wasn't the sellers fault, the gearbox had had the oil drained 15,000 miles prior to it going and the oil was never replaced. Quite a statement for the 02A box...

I got a new box on an exchange basis and got it fitted. Now the fun began.

As it came it had inpro angel eyes, some BSA multi-fitment crap alloys and some bad patches of paint work. The only tasteful thing the previous owner had done was tint the rear lights so they were all red, which on a black car looks great in my opinion.

I dont have any pics of what it looked like back then.

Since I bought the car the best part of £4000 has been spent on:

New all over paint Job.

I bought a 16v rado (which I broke) for its almost pristine leather interior.

New gearbox.

New front engine mount.

288 VR6 5 stud hub conversion all round.

Stage 4 charger rebuild

Replaced the crappy BSA alloys with some BBS RC041's

Plus a few more bits. It now looks like this:

Rado006.jpg

Rado002.jpg

Rado003.jpg

Rado004.jpg

Rado001.jpg

Rado005.jpg

After 118k the PG block is on its way out. It's burning oil and loosing a bit of water. I'm having to put a litre of oil in a week just to keep it over the minimum, sounds very tappety at start up etc.

Good excuse to do a budget 8 valve turbo project.

Keep your eyes on this space... getting some new wheels too. Currently refurbing some 16" Stern "faceII" alloys to go on in the next few weeks.

***UPDATE 3/12/10***

Okay so I painted the Stern wheels that are going on the car soon. The dishes are yet to be properly polished up. The faces are in wrinkle/crackle black. I also painted the rocker cover in the same paint apart from its red.

Rado009.JPG

Rado010.JPG

Rado011.JPG

Rado012.JPG

Rado013.JPG

Rado014.JPG

Rado007.JPG

Rado008.JPG

***Update 8/12/10***

I've now got the adaptors I need to fit the stern wheels in a few weeks. Now the sad news, I'm moving back up to Leeds to live with my girlfriend. Currently being technically un-employed (started my own business which isn't earning me enough) I'm going back to working full time. Had a few job offers and I'm looking at work thats going to pay me around £7 an hour.

This means that I'm pushing back my turbo project, however on the positive side this means I will have more money *YAY*

Going to aim for March to have this done by as I'll have some wage under my belt. My living expenses in Leeds will be very low too.

I'm actually going to be doing this properly rather than on as tight a budget as possible. I'll probably use the turbo I have to start with and I'm just going to start collecting parts for now.

Going to go for a full engine work up with new crank, new rods (possibly pistons too, if I go this far may aswell rebore it) cam, lifters, vernier pulley etc.

Turbo related parts to get:

Turbo down pipe.

All boost and turbo intake piping.

Water feed pipes for turbo.

Oil feed and dril and fit oil return.

Blow off valve.

Engine parts to get:

New cam.

New lifters.

New valves (possibly big valve head)

Vernier pulley

Misc parts to get:

New engine mounts.

More to come...

*Update 27/2/11*

I havent posted in a while... Been very busy working over the beginning of the year. Had a small accident at the beginning of the year and touched bumpers very gently with another car...

The stern splits are on!!! Wahey!

Ok well I'll post some pics that are as of late:

22_humber001.jpg

22_humber002.jpg

22_humber005.jpg

22_humber007.jpg

onsterns002.jpg

onsterns003.jpg

The top four shots were taken just by the Humber Bridge... I drove from Leeds at around 12 midnight, The M621 was so dead so I opened the taps for the last time on the current engine.

The car is now off the road, I owed the charger to another forum member blenkJ. This was in exchange for the B-E--A-UTIFUL Stern "reverse face 2" splits I got from him.

However... the story doesn't end here! Within the next month or so I'm going to be pulling the front off of the car and removing the dying powerplant. The new block is going to be going for work not long after.... I can't wait.

Edited by Graphite

Cheers dude, I actually posted a question on your thread about splitting the charger seeing as I already have a stage 4. You said you weren't looking at splitting and I've got a spare engine to convert with now. I'm expanding my mechanical knowledge by doing a turbo though, just replacing the engine itself is boring lol!

Good luck with the 8v turbo project. 8vT is great fun but can be a nightmare when things break. i will watch this one with interest.

I have an ihi turbo 8v

I wil second Marc.

No such thing as a budget 8vt. Don't believe me ask corrado_sunderland.

Not knocking it or you either just offering advice.

Absolutely rricking flying machines that will embarrass alot of cars on the road and can be Torquey as hell.

Thanks for the feedback.

Looking at your posts I'm not going as high spec for now. I can see why your set-ups will cost a pretty penny. Did you guys have it done professionally or by yourself/with friends help? I'm going the second route.

Well... I've sourced some parts quite cheap, not running a big turbo or high boost. What internal mods have you guys had done to accommodate it? I've been looking about but I can't find whats been done out of necessity or just because it can be done.

Sounds good Troy, be watching with interest.

Check out Junkies build thread in his signature, I'm sure it has the spec of his engine on the 1st or 2nd page. (this is the engine I now have :norty: )

To run mine how it was was mostly necessity except management, it can and was run on dig but the management gave more torque through better boost control built into it. I did run a separate electronic boost control on dig but it was not as good as the built in boost control.

By 'running it how it was' do you mean that you had to do all that work because it was rebored? if so was the rebore neccessary to enable the use of a turbo? The turbo I'm using isn't going to produce as much boost as an IHI VF22. I'm not going for massive BHP/torque figures for now.

Cant remember the model off by heart, its off a Subaru Imprezza WRX though, it's not very big.

I've got a standard PG block as a spare that I'm going to attatch it to, while my current 'knackered' engine is out I'm going to have that engine worked on, polished and ported head, cams, etc. I just can't afford it at the moment though.

***First post updated with new wheel progress :)***

wheels will be mint rebuilt m8. will have to polish them dishers up asap. mite be able to get the rado back on the ground and take them fames back and get them other dishers back by monday.

wheels will be mint rebuilt m8. will have to polish them dishers up asap. mite be able to get the rado back on the ground and take them fames back and get them other dishers back by monday.

Lets get yours back down on its wheels on monday, ring up alloy solutions and see if theyre about, if so take the A frames back. I should be able to nip out tomorrow to get what we need to finish polishing the dishes.

Wheels look ace mate, Stern reverse face II's right ?

What PCD / offset / width are they ? Always wanted a set but usually PCD / offset / width's were just silly I have found. Finish looks great, did you paint them yourself ?

You can run the turbo straight on the engine without head work or reboring. You will need a dump valve, turbo, exhaust manifold, injectors will be ok, remap to make it work the best it can but may be ok. You will be using a TD04 turbo then off the WRX. I have a classic scooby with that turbo and they will max out at 280bhp on a scooby. Instant power though.

Wheels look ace mate, Stern reverse face II's right ?

What PCD / offset / width are they ? Always wanted a set but usually PCD / offset / width's were just silly I have found. Finish looks great, did you paint them yourself ?

Aye they are Stern Face II reverse. They're 114.3 x 5 PCD but I'm redrilling them to 112 x 5. Not sure on offsets. Front: 8" Rears 9". Theyre 16" diameter.

The finish is black wrinkle paint, and yes I did do it myself. Never sprayed anything before in my life so I was surprised that these have come out so well. Can't wait to get them built up and on the car. Goodbye beige BBS!

You can run the turbo straight on the engine without head work or reboring. You will need a dump valve, turbo, exhaust manifold, injectors will be ok, remap to make it work the best it can but may be ok. You will be using a TD04 turbo then off the WRX. I have a classic scooby with that turbo and they will max out at 280bhp on a scooby. Instant power though.

Ok so I got the TD04 and manifold for: £70

I've seen dump valves for around £90 on demon-tweeks. Don't know if its a good one or not, I know nothing about dump valves.

Boost pipes: ~£150 (going to get one piece custome pipes fabricated)

Remap: £??? How much are remaps from jabba??

So all in all I'm looking to do this for roughly £460. That's pretty much budget isn't it? :)

Prob looking around £300-400 for remap.

Oil lines

Water lines

Fittings to suit

Sort out oil return to sump from turbo

Your only going to be able to run actuator pressure on the turbo which is say 7psi I think unless you control it by other means which will be mechanical been the cheapest. Bleed valve or can't remember the other name.

Fresh oil and filter

Turning out to be not so cheP after all and you will need more stuff along the way and the end result will be slightly more power approx 220 bhp and same torque.

Still do it though

Oh and exhaust downpipe from turbo to mate onto your exhaust.

You will more than likely have to grind off your exhaust support bracket off of your inlet manifold to gain turbo clearance and if your engine mounts are knackered then the engine may rock too much and snap the wastegate actuator arm on the bulkhead or something.

All good points but I know someone where I can get water pipes cheap, I got the oil lines included with the turbo- forgot to mention that.

Blenkj who posted above is a good mate and was once upon a time a pro-fabricator so any chopping, welding etc can be done for literally pence. He can sort the return to the sump for me.

Forgot about engine mounts - can get them fairly cheap.

Wow 300-400 for a remap? Really? is that to get best performance or just to get it so it doesnt run too lean/rich. I.e just so it runs. (might try and find somewhere a bit cheaper me thinks!)

Oil and filter I can get cheap too... it's great when you know people in the trade.

Okay so a bit more than I expected. Still rather budget though I'd say.

Why you welding and redrilling the wheels ? You can get 5x100 to 5x114.3PCD adapters mate ?

Seems a bit pointless having them welded and redrilled to 5x112PCD when you then need to run 5x100 - 5x112PCD adapters to then run them ?

Thats about right for a remap, remember your creating something fairly unique so it wont be an off the shelf product. I guess the DG guys could remap you too, but I'd budget for a good £4-500 for a map.

Why you welding and redrilling the wheels ? You can get 5x100 to 5x114.3PCD adapters mate ?

Seems a bit pointless having them welded and redrilled to 5x112PCD when you then need to run 5x100 - 5x112PCD adapters to then run them ?

He's changed his hubs to 5x100's. Might want to advoid adapters for offset reasons? :shrug:

He's changed his hubs to 5x100's. Might want to advoid adapters for offset reasons? :shrug:

Aye, but if his hubs are 5x100, to run 5x112PCD wheels, he will still need to run adapters to fit wheels ? :wink:

I have a couple of jap-fitment wheels too and they are all have offsets of between ET35 and ET40, so running 5x100 to 5x114.3PCD adapters would be no problem and would avoid any need to weld and redrill wheels at all :)

Aye, but if his hubs are 5x100, to run 5x112PCD wheels, he will still need to run adapters to fit wheels ? :wink:

I have a couple of jap-fitment wheels too and they are all have offsets of between ET35 and ET40, so running 5x100 to 5x114.3PCD adapters would be no problem and would avoid any need to weld and redrill wheels at all :)

Maybe he's fitted 5x112 hubs instead :oops: