Sign in to follow this  
corozin

VOSA considering MOT changes in 2011

There was a thread on here a couple of months ago regarding changes to the MOT which a number of people - myself included - poohpooh'd because the references in the link provided no substantiation of the changes.

But it does seem as though VOSA are looking to review the MOT rules in mid 2011 in light of the differences between our tests and those carried out in the rest of the EU. And we now have a document to read this time touching on some of the issues which will be looked at. It's actually an interesting read in any event.

What seems apparent is that our own MOT is one of the most stringent tests currently applied in the EU. Many other countries don't start testing cars until at least 4 years old, and then test every two years unlike our own annual test. We also have a very comprehensive checklist compared to other countries, but many of those on the other hand don't allow the test to be conducted in the same location as any repair work, which is obviously allowed here.

One particular item which will be of interest here is the intention of VOSA to consult on making "illegally chipped" engines an MOT fail, as is the case in many other parts of the EU. It sounds as though VOSA don't really have a clue how this would be enforced if they chose to go ahead with this move, but the implications for owners of modified cars in this area are very significant. Obviously where an engine is changed substansively (e.g. where new cams or a supercharger is fitted) it is necessary to remap the ECU to optimise the efficiency, not to mention emissions of the engine. But what happens where the original ECU is replaced with and aftermarket management system? This is clearly something which will have to be flagged up in consultation as just impractical.

Take a look at the booklet. From the contents it appears VOSA have already shown thier hand in terms of an intention to ban "chipping" despite dressing it up as an intent to consult. We may need to get ready to petition VOSA and our MPs next spring if this does become a consultation point.

Any indication of what age group of cars this is going to affect?

I suspect cars with different engines, brakes, management systems and wheels etc will have to go through the SVA process, perhaps once, for certification, and then be tested normally from then on. Because otherwise 1000s of SVAs every year is just unmanagable.

There's no way things like the ECU check will be rolled back restrospectively for cars like ours though.. it'll only be for new stuff, like how they did when they started recording CO2 differently in 2001...

So not too worried :)

There's nothing in what I've read so far about how far back this may apply. In countries like France & Belgium you aren't allowed to do any engine modifications at all but I suspect that any attempt to harmonise the rules anywhere even close to that is going to be a massive problem if applied in a country which has been used to little regulation in this area previously.

I sure I recall reading somewhere that the vehicle aftermarket for modified parts & services is worth around £4bn in the UK, so I'm sure there will be a lot of resistance if VOSA try and push things too far. But it's not all bad news; I certainly wouldn't mind if (for example) the MOT went bi-annual, as it seems to come round very quickly!

Will try and keep a look out on how this develops.

There's nothing in what I've read so far about how far back this may apply. In countries like France & Belgium you aren't allowed to do any engine modifications at all but I suspect that any attempt to harmonise the rules anywhere even close to that is going to be a massive problem if applied in a country which has been used to little regulation in this area previously.

This is the problem. The rest of Europe & the UK being forced to bend over and quietly accept a good rodding from Brussels.

They're obviously bored of squeezing performance car maker's balls until they're dry and so are looking into yet more ways to remove any enjoyment to be had from motor cars.

And yep, Jim is correct. The chipping thing is only enforcable on ECUs that are readable in the first place, which basically means OBD2 onwards, so all Corrados are exempt :D Even if they came up with some kind of skeleton key equivalent VAG-COM that could read anything and everything, a VR6's ECU will tell them nothing that's of any use.

What they will be mainly looking for is modified software that increases boost duty and injector on time. There are ways to do that which I am sure they will be able to implement nationwide.

Problem is I think they are aiming for the generic mapped chips you see on ebay, but seem to want to apply it to all modded cars, whether it needs a remap or not. There are different ways to change the maps, but they seem to tarnish them all with the same brush. Wangers.