Sign in to follow this  
dannyboy

Rear wheel wobble!

hi guys, bit of an odd one but i drove home last night and back off my car shook very bady doing 60 mph. and it happened suddenly.the gremblins have started :(

ive just replaced my tyres with winters on borbet A's,so i thought i was being a bit of an idot and forgot to torque tighten the wheelnuts

when i brought car to my father-in-laws garage i checked the torque and it was fine,but found something worse.

i could move the whole assembly,so wheel off and time to check the bearings.

i took the cover off, split pin out and locking retainer off and moved the 24mm nut by hand :shock:

i know their taper roller bearings and the washer should be able to be moved with a screwdriver but surely not this loose!!

Im asking does anyone preload the bearings and back off till the washer can move? or does this cause these wimpy bearings to break?

ive done it already and it seems good now. the other side isnt great but not as bad as l/h side was.I think the :cowboy: who worked on it before just tightened it up til washer didnt move and backed off. :bad-words:

also are the calpiers supposed to have little play in them?thought sliding ones did,but need your opinon

ideas guys?

Ive just rebuilt my rear set up, when i took mine apart the nut was just as loose as yours but i didnt have any play in the rear wheels. My dad (who used to be a mechanic and own his own garage) has suggested to tighten the nut as much as i could just using a ratchet and then taking it for a spin once ive bled the brakes, i haven't put the split pin on it yet incase i need to loosen/tighten the nut. I dont know what the book suggests the correct torque setting for the nut is so i dont know loose it might need to be. The washer has a notch built into it and sits in another notch on the stub axle, have you checked whether it was sitting properly?

The bearings are pretty tough and tightening it shouldnt cause them to break, how much play does the caliper have? Is it the caliper that is moving or the carrier?

The offset of the Borbets and the resistance of winter tyres probably killed off the old bearings.

If you change them only use genuine VW bearings - cheap ones are dangerous imo.

i wouldnt be surpised if the last idiot who had the car put cheap ones on,he has lied about lots on the car.

I usually pre-load the bearings(tighthen til the wheel no longer easily rotates,then back off til the washer can by moved with screwdriver) but i was worried these little bearings can take that kind of stress,without prematurely buggering them(im am used to bearings as big as the front brake disc!them are a bit beefer :lol: )

ill have a look at weekend,because im busy but from what is seen the carrier was the one that was moving,play was prob due to the pads.seems more like flex.

I did check the calpier allen key bolts(8mm i think)they were tight,and the carrier bolts were also good.