jamiehamy

Bosnia and Back in one piece!

Okay, so thought i would start one of these for my car, for my records amuch as amything else! I keep forgetting what i've done.

She's a 1993 VR6 in Flash Red. I bought her off a chap in Lockerbie after I sold him my G60 and then fell in love with his VR6. A couple of years later I managed to buy it from him. She used to be lowered but I got really sick of crashing about on Scottish roads so is now back to standard. Comfort is good and the handling is acceptable, but i don't like the look. Hopefully will get H&R springs one day.

Current Spec:

Standard Springs with Koni T/A's

OZ Ultraleggera 16" with Toyo tyres

TT 312 Brake conversion on the front

MOCAL Oil cooler

TT rearmost wishbone bushes

Scorpion Stainless exhaust from cat back.

LPG with 43litre tank.

Upgraded headlamp loom with Phillips bulbs.

Red dashboard filters and electric window LED's

Recent work completed:

Fitted centre console(handbrake) support bracket.

Fitted door handle repair kit to drivers side after the latch snapped.

Fitted new Blue water temperature sensor.

New spark plugs for fitting of LPG.

Rear discs and pads about 5k miles ago along with bearings.

Fitted new handbrake cables about 10k ago.

Cleaned heater blower motor and fitted a new thermal fuse - now working on all 4 speeds.

New pulley tensioner bearing/roller fitted.

New clutch master and slave cylinders Sept 2010.

Chains and tensioners replaced Dec 2009.

Hydraulic lifters replaced October 2010.

I use her everyday and currently doing an easy 20k mile per year. Mileage currently sitting at 168900.

27112010321-1.jpg

Edited by jamiehamy

Nice! Good to see people doing all the important stuff, rather than just doing a load of pointless mods!

That number plate looks like the car may be from my (Yeovil) area, ending in 'YA'..

Fitted new VAG balljoints on both sides today. Note to self - use a fork tool to extract the balljoint and don't bother trying to chop the bolts and use a scissor tool. Next up - new 312 discs and pads.

New PAGID discs and pads fitted to the front as well as drivers trackrod end. Also just fitted Goodrich hoses at the front, as well as new brake pipes. The originals were in good condition, except in the arch, where they were beginning to rot, so good time to do it.

The hoses make a nice difference, less sponginess and effort required to brake. Still not quite as firm as a modern car, but by all accounts, that's fairly normal. Now i've got good brakes again :)

Rear brakes never tend to get too hot, which bothers me. I know they don't really contribute as much, but I'd have thought on a good fast drive with lots of heavy braking, they would have gotten at least too hot to touch. Also, they sturggle to maintain that shiny look, which I am putting down to not getting hot and burning off any cr@p?

Compensator is in the middle, maybe needs adjusting to make them work more?

Mileage 173002 miles.

Serviced the car at the weekend ready for my roadtrip in April.

Mobil1 2000 10w40

OE Airfilter

Oil Filter

Gas filter

Castrol gearbox oil

Mileage - 173870

Fitted Genuine VAG (red) HT leads. Much better fit round the coilpack terminals so hopefully stop the arcing when driving on sodden roads.

Car feels smoother at idle and nippier - old leads were Euro specials. Never again...

Mileage - 174230.

Fitted new SKF top mounts tonight. Difference in handling is superb, it handles like a Clio 172 over back roads now! So responsive!

This weekend I fitted new braided hoses to the oil cooler. They are longer and I managed to route them much better to the front. Also, the elbows now hang down rather than up, avoiding contact with the crack pipe.

Also resoldered the oil temp connector, now I have a consistent reading.

Also fitted a spare cam sensor I have as engine seemed flat as well as fitting a replacement idle damper as it was hissing. Engine much perkier.

New genuine coilpack was also fitted in advance of my roadtrip, although old one was fine and in good condition. Finally, wrapped up some of the wires that were not covered with a felt/tape stuff I got from ebay. Much tidier.

Mileage - 175210

Saturday. First stop Dover...argh!

Can't wait tho, should be fun. Going to do some final tweaks to gas injection map to make sure it's as efficient as possible.

Apart from that, fingers crossed! :)

Cool mate looking good I will always have a soft spot for flash red--my last Corrado was red,looks really good polished up.

Where are you going on your road trip I must have missed that bit??

Euro Tour 2011??

Cool mate looking good I will always have a soft spot for flash red--my last Corrado was red,looks really good polished up.

Where are you going on your road trip I must have missed that bit??

Euro Tour 2011??

Thank you. Sometimes I get fed up, but as you say, a wash and a polish and she lokos great :) Hoping to make it to Bosnia.

Route is -

Glasgow

Dover

Reims

Augsburg

Klagenfurt

Ljubljiana

Zagreb

Zadar

Dubrovnik

Sarajevo (depending if I can get insurance arranged in Croatia)

Split

Trieste

Venice

Como

Nancy

London

Glasgow

All in all about 4000miles and got two weeks to do it! Did 3800miles in two weeks last year, so getting conditioned!

Will try posts some pics up as I go.

Cool mate thats some road trip I wish you the best of luck real road trip and in a Corrado.

Pics would be great,

Might as well update my trip on here, will help me remember in the future where I went!

Drove down to Dover last night, car ran well. Cost £75 on gas for the 506 miles, which i think is okay. Beasted it a bit thought Scotland given 21mpg, but taking it easy she does 24.5mpg cruising.

On DFDS Ferry - can't go on Tunnel train because of LPG.

th_03042011510.jpg

Arras in France.

th_03042011513.jpg

Now in Reims for the night, on to Augsburg tmrw.

Oh, and btw. I saw SuperU at *cough* E1.64, so best part of £1.50 a litre! Gas is E0.85

Edited by jamiehamy

Down through Austria to Klagenfurt. Visited a Porsche Museum in a place called Gmund. It's where Ferdinand Porsche moved to in 1944 to avoid the bombing of Stuttgart! Was a gorgeous 968 that has been cut up on one side, fascinating. Also make me want a Porsche again.

th_05042011536.jpg

Lake Bled and then Ljubljiana tomorrow.

Car going well, although a couple of small issues. Currently chewing up the front drivers tyre. Using eye reckoning, I think she's toed in way too much, so making small adjustments each night. At 3mm will swap to back and hope the other new one will make home! argh.

Gearbox is horrid, just really gratey going into gear, despite new oil. Has been like that for a good while now, so new(er) gearbox needed i think.

Apart from that, she's great, got her up to 27-28mpg on gas! Been really fine tuning the gas map and it's nearly perfect now. I had a panic on the way though the Alps, car felt sluggish and fuel consumption was dropping consistetly, even though I was going down hill. Then I worked the optical illusion out and realised I'd been steadily climbing for over 20miles, but looked like I was going downhill! whoops!

Reims Cathedral.

th_03042011521.jpg

Road Triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Impressive stuff mate seen any more Corrados so far????

Thanks guys :)

Only seen one other Rado, an Ice Violet one, but it was a fleeting glimpse so not much detail.

Came over the Lieblpass this morning into Slovenia, was quite a drive!! Up up and Up!

Think I've got the tracking sorted, will find out in the morning. Zagreb next.

th_06042011548-3.jpg

Now in Zagreb after and early start this morning, spent most of the day here. Really nice city, didn't know what to expect. Lots of pleasant boulevards and side streets with a relaxed but bustling atmosphere.

St marks Square, Zagreb

th_07042011570.jpg

Lake Bled, Slovenia

th_06042011553.jpg

Ljubljana

th_06042011561.jpg

Looks like gas is readily available in Croatia and only 58p per litre. MPG is consistently 25/26mpg when sitting at 75-80mph. Very pleased. I wonder if the higher butane content has anything to do with it...

Zadar tmrw, then Dubrovnik. Need to try get insurance for Bosnia tho, no joy here.

nice, went island hopping round croatia a few years ago, ended up in dubrovnik for a few days at the end. check out the old town quarter at night time, great place to have a few relaxing jars.

This is a great thread and a great trip.

If you Were Ewan McGregor you would have a film crew with you and a tv series would be made out of this:thumbleft:

haha, I'd love to film it!

Arrived Zadar today, not much to see outwith the old town, but the location is stunning, looking out over the Adriatic and islands.

th_08042011597.jpg

th_08042011578.jpg

th_08042011579-3.jpg

Off to Dubrovnik tomorrow. Not managed to get insurance for Bosnia in advance so will have to see if it's available at the border. Any Croatians we've spoken to seems surprised we'd want to go! Two of them crossed themselves (religously!) Argh!

This shall be the most interesting bit, if we get across the border. :)