Sign in to follow this  
Diesel Junior

VR6 Head gaskets and rip offs.....(allegedly)

Oddly the mechanic wasn't over-concerned with the mayo find saying that 'drops of oil often do find their way in, especially thru the heating system'.

Eh? :scratch: :lol:

It may take a while for all of the oil to find it's way out of the system, so I wouldn't panic just yet. Also worth noting that if the oil found it's way into the coolant system, it's worth replacing the oil aswell, in case any got into the engine. It's unlikely as oil pressure is considerably higher than coolant pressure, but for peace of mind, I would do a refill of both oil and coolant.

Thanks Kev thats a great post especially as there is a dark cloud hanging over me not helped by my neighbour saying 'you can have my Puma for £900, its the 1.7 you know and would beat your Scirocco.......'. The coolant is all new and my heart sank when i saw the dreaded mayo. The quote you used were the mechanics own words, my Spanish isn't perfect but that's what he said and just made no sense whatsoever......

OK, well rest assured mate, it's very unlikely oil is finding it's way into the coolant system via the head gasket, so I'm fairly confident the mayo is just residual left overs from the oil cooler failure. When your engine was drained, some oil would have stayed behind in the coolant channels, so it will take a fair while to shift it all.

How much Hellman's are we talking by the way? Enough to make an Egg mayo sandwich, or just a tiny bit?

Nah not too much, less than a level teaspoon of the stuff. Head for home tomorrow (well thats the theory......) so will let the car rest after is trauma till 5th of January. I really hope its nothing serious as i just do not like chucking money at a 17 year old car and am getting sick of 'garage experts' telling me to get rid, they just dont understand the quality of the car. I had an S2000 before this and this is by far the better car. When in the stealer this morning had a good look at a Scirocco, lovely car but where the VR6 has leather, it has plastic and its 20k plus to upgrade. Thanks 4 your help and support BTW i will do all possible to keep this thing on the road, an i dont mean the Puma 1.7!!!!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1100568.JPG[/attachment:371ihq5z]P1100569.JPG[/attachment:371ihq5z]

Lovely example there mate! Definitely worth the expense and effort keeping it going.

When people say similar things to me about the age of the car it not being worth it, it just makes me more determined to prove them wrong :D Some people change cars as often as their clothes and I just don't see it that way. If a particular car gives you enjoyment and has been a trusty steed for a number of years, I see no reason to get rid of it just because people want to see you in a newer car..... chiefly because it's easier for them to fix and they can cream some overpriced servicing and extended warranty money from you.

Better than an S2000 eh? That's a car I've quite fancied for some time, so that's high praise indeed!

Less than a teaspoon isn't too bad, but keep an eye on it obviously. If it continues or gets worse, we need to go back to the drawing board!

And no, you don't want a Puma 1.7 after a VR6! They're good cars in their own right, but not as nice as a Corrado and I can't stand Sciroccos! There is no way on earth I would chop a Corrado in one of those!

What i would say about the Puma is that it has the most comfortable seats i have come across, important when you have had back surgery like me! Shoot me down but i may well snap it up, :cuckoo: (and may get kicked off this forum as a result...) solely to keep the mileage down on the Corrado and you can leave it in the supermarket car park without fear......the S2000 was an amazing car but frenetic is hardly the word. A 5 min drive to the shops was akin to 3 rounds with Mike Tyson at his peak, but once again, the quality of materials was not at the level of VW/Karmann. Some will disagree but to me it gets an A, while the Corrado gets an A+. They really are chalk and cheese, the Corrado is brilliant on the motorway it just wafts along while, for me, the s2000 is a second car/weekend plaything. When that VTEC kicks in its just amazing but watch out at roundabouts, it makes an E30 3 series look like a paragon of stability.........

LOL, and I've had a few E30 BMWs so I can only imagine how scary an S2000 must be!

Didn't Honda improve the rear end on the later models?

Yeah, and i had a late model so heaven knows what the early ones were like!! A great car in many ways just not especially practical, beside I'm over 40 :shock: now and attitudes change!! The Corrado is just more complete as John Wood (a top guy BTW) of Volkscars told me in his sales pitch and he wasn't wrong. The relationship with it has been a bit :lol: strained during this last week but hopefully a couple of weeks away will do the trick!

Happy New Year to all! Well have been driving the Corrado for a good two weeks and a couple of long runs up to Valencia seem to have done it the world of good. The dreaded mayo is minimal and the car is running great so hopefully i am out of the woods as per the HG, fingers crossed. However....my neighbour is still offering the Puma to me and i am tempted and would appreciate any thoughts on this, also...the plastic cover on top of the engine which says 'VW' 'DOHC VR6' has cracked and lets the side down TBH and would like to buy one yet i cannot find it on vagcat.com (and i have looked...) does anyone have any idea how much this would cost? I think in English you call it the cam cover? Many thanks..... :notworthy: