Sign in to follow this  
raddo

Old school 16v T conversion

Hi, I am new to this site having recently aquired a Corrado with a 1.8 kr avec turbo, courtesy of a 90's turbo technics kit. It is running a piggy back ecu and 5th injector going from the metering head. It works great, seems reliable and goes pretty well. I'm hoping to source bits, and having good success to change it over to a G60 digi management system. Quite a few companies say it no problem, but are a alittle hazy on the details. I have found many threads about it but most of these were 16v G60 conversions. My question to those in the know is what do you need, apart from the loom, ecu, inlet manifold, injectors, water temp sensor, oil temp sensor, lamda probe is needed? And also would any mk4 1.8 turbo manifolds fit on without any chopping? HELP!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.. :D

O.

Hi, I am new to this site having recently aquired a Corrado with a 1.8 kr avec turbo, courtesy of a 90's turbo technics kit. It is running a piggy back ecu and 5th injector going from the metering head. It works great, seems reliable and goes pretty well. I'm hoping to source bits, and having good success to change it over to a G60 digi management system. Quite a few companies say it no problem, but are a alittle hazy on the details. I have found many threads about it but most of these were 16v G60 conversions. My question to those in the know is what do you need, apart from the loom, ecu, inlet manifold, injectors, water temp sensor, oil temp sensor, lamda probe is needed? And also would any mk4 1.8 turbo manifolds fit on without any chopping? HELP!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.. :D

O.

Not sure what an avec turbo is but OSV is right, I did used to have a Turbo Technics 16V 8)

If it's running great now on K Jet + Piggy back (mine ran perfect), I'm not sure what the purpose of running Digifant is? Are you wanting more power? If so, the G60 management route wouldn't be my first choice. You'd be better off with a standalone. Something like the Emerald K3 or DTA S60 will work great and there are quite a few 16V T maps around.

What piggyback are you currently using? I used K Star KS-301 with a rail of VR6 injectors supplementing the stock 16V injectors. It was a bit slow switching through the fuel maps (compared to a modern standalone) but it worked really well.

The rail of 4 injectors is essentially the same as your 5th injector, but fuel is added to each cylinder, rather than the whole plenum.

If you're running just the 5th injector, 16V Ts using this method are known to run too lean at the top end, so there are probably some improvements that could be found from your setup.

To whet your appetite, the original (lean running) 16V T kit from Turbo Technics in the 1980s used to make 180hp on 5 star leaded fuel, and a little less on Super Unleaded. In 1999-2000, Vince at Stealth Racing bought the remaining 12 kits from Turbo Technics and refined them with the afore-mentioned piggy back and VR6 injectors. Power went up to 195hp with 194lb-ft torque on low boost (8psi) and 221hp and 216lb-ft torque on high boost (10.5psi)

I sold my 16V T some 8 or 9 years ago now, and I miss it. I've been tempted to build another one but my sensible head kicks in and reminds me that 2 boosted Corrados would be a nightmare financially!

i really wish these kits would come back, so many valvers about at the moment and so many people would be interested, myself included (currently thinking over a bike conversion too...)

Maybe Vince could be persuaded into a 16V T revival :norty:

The 16V T was what the 1.8T should have been. One thing that bugs me with standard 1.8Ts is the surgey power delivery and it comes in far too low as well for my liking. The K Jet fuelled 16V T is an absolute creamy peach of a motor, completely surge free. Just instant grunt any where in the rev range.

More people need to experience 16V Ts in their lives :D

*ahem cough*....group buy....*cough cough*....but seriously id definately be up for it! or just an instruction kit would be a good start lol

Well Vince has done a Stage VR6 Turbo kit and apparently they are working on a Stage 1 4Motion kit aswell. I'll have a word with him next time I'm there and discuss the feasibility etc.

Personally I'd prefer to keep the K Jet fuelling and use a basic MAP based piggy back system to drive an additional rail of injectors. That may not be doable anymore and people may need to install a standalone and ditch the K jet.

If you love your valver, this is the best way to get VR6 beating grunt whilst still maintaining the character and reliability of the 16V.

kev if you could do that that would be amazing. I think with valvers being so cheap these days people are more into trying to get the most out of them rather than vr6's and g60's which tend to be roughly double the price. It would be especially good for enthusiasts such as myself who have gone through the trouble of re sprays and brake conversions who dont particulary want to sell up for more power after putting in so much effort and growing attached to the car they have already....blah blah blah you get the picture lol

When he says avec turbo he means with a turbo, as avec is with in French. :lol:

oh so your the 1 french speaking person on the site!!! :notworthy: