Sign in to follow this  
vr6storm

leather re-colouring

hi all,

well my storm is in getting its front seats re-coloured....they were getting pretty scuffed and were looking really downmarket....anyway my local car accsesory shop.....checkpoint,aberdeen have a leather re-colouring service which is basically "spray"-painting the seats with a rubber-based paint(so no cracking),anyway get the car back on thursday...it went in on tuesday nite btw......went by tonight to see how they were looking and was just totally gob-smacked...what an improvement...almost like new...just the very very minor light sagging of the side upper bolster gives the game away as not been "brand-new",anyway the cost of doing the 2 front seats,both door-cards and the gear-lever gaitor........£170 not cheap but when you consider that to get one seat re-trimmed from mj-interiors would be approx £400.....alright that would be for new leather etc but this is a pretty cost effective and of course cheaper alternative

btw will post before and after pics as soon as i get a loan of my mates digi-cam

Give me a shout if you need a camera Roddy... My mate Scott had this done last year and it looked really good.

anyway here are some before shots of the leather

and hopefully pau1 will have the after shots inc door-cards :wink:

Here are some piccies of Roddys new refurbished interior... :thumb right:

Looks dam good in the flesh... Nice one Roddy...

Hi Rodders, to bring this thread back from the dead. Its been over a year now, how has the rubber spray treatment faired, is the interior still looking as good? Looks amazing in the pictures! I am interested in doing this too, this was the only thread that I could find on the subject. Anybody done this down south?

Cheers,

F

last time i heard from Rodders he said it wasnt holding up as well as he had hoped..

To be honest i think a re-trim is the best option..at least you know its gonna last that way

Thanks jedi-knight83, not really what I wanted to hear, but like you say may be better in the long run. Damn! Better start saving, got to get both front seats done, ouch :shock:. Probably looking at about £400 I guess. Will have to leave the door cards for now and maybe get them done at a later date....

Oh by the way, many thanks for the suspension advice and pic a couple of weeks ago. Getting them sorted on the weekend. I have a couple of grooves at the back that I can move the cup so should raise the back end to get it more balanced. Just had two wheel bearings replaced so I was able to have a proper look at them.

Cheers

I think the black leathers seem to stand up better in the long term, or at least the damage they take doesn't look so obvious. To me. YMMV. :)

Hi Rodders, to bring this thread back from the dead. Its been over a year now, how has the rubber spray treatment faired, is the interior still looking as good? Looks amazing in the pictures! I am interested in doing this too, this was the only thread that I could find on the subject. Anybody done this down south?

Cheers,

F

yip as jedi has mentioned it hasn't faired up to well :( ............in fact any bit of "heat" coming from your body will make you stick to the seats and if you happen to be wearing jeans or a dark colour type trouser it seems to take some of the fibre off and leave it sticking to the seats making it look minging :( ......best start saving for a retrim....thats what i'm going to do but at the time i thought going the re-colouring route was worth trying but ive found out it isnt so great......well at least notwith cream/beige leather :roll:

Many thanks for advice, I am sure the same will happen with grey leather? Sorry you had to find out the hard way for all of us. I guess I better start saving.

I managed to get full grey leather interior from a guy who was breaking his spare c for the engine. Paying £250 for it, rear seats and door cards in excellent condition, will get plastic trim as well. The front seats have not been looked after and both the passenger and driver seat bolsters are scratched and cracked. Annoyingly whoever owned the car also put mid range and tweeter speakers in the door cards, so will have to follow suite and find some neat speakers that look the part. Think I will resist puting the interior in until I have got them re-covered. Might also keep some of my black plastic and do a grey black interior as I have a silver car... hope it comes out okay.

Many thanks for the advice.