Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

Handling - an update

OK - some of you may have seen this question develop over time. Started with vague steering and soogy suspension and have now carried out the following:

new weitec GT kit - (lowers 40mm)

Mk4 Golf bump stops

new wishbone bushes

new rear axle bushes

new track rods

new top mounts

The underlying handling is great, but the car still feels a bit vague - changing lanes on the motorway under acceleration for example, I sometimes feel the car isn't reacting as it should. The ride around town is quite hard - I expect this - but even on smooth roads with the clutch dipped and coasting, there is still some jiggly behaviour. Please help, this is frustrating - anything else to try - wheel bearings, engine mounts??

Thanks - I promise to shit up about this soon !!

PS - the fitting of the weitec GT kit was photographed for VW motoring mag - and should appear next month - fame at last !!

Hi there - yep all realigned so happy that's right. There is a bit of noise from the suspension - again I'd expect that - seems to get louder when going round bends - lefthand particularly !

Dunno if it's the same on a 'rado as it is on a Golf, but there's some rubber bushes that hold the steering rack onto the car... If they've gone rotten or just worn badly, you'd get all sorts of vague feelings in the handling... :|

worth a look? :?

Hmmm - it had a new powerflex steering rack mounting fitted when the track rod ends were done. Is this what you mean? If it's not this - how can I check the bushes you mention?