Sign in to follow this  
pink.teg

buying a rado ...for top dollar..........

hi all ..

just thinking what every body on here thinks about spending just under 5 k on and rado these days :cuckoo:

there are afew really nice cars for sale and i would lov to have one of them ,but as you do ,stop and think :shrug: ..you know 15 to 18 year old car for that sort of money .....

what could be the deep pockect route. :help:

ive had afew great sports car ...DC2 type R ...mk1 golf .16v ....scooby.... merc clk 230k ...all good and not the same ...

what im trying to say ..i could buy any of the above again with 5k and lov it ,,whats the rado going to do for me.....as ive not been in one yet

i do like to buy cars ...without testing them too ,silly i know .. this will def be my weekend toy so's its got to be fun ,coz ive got some of the best roads to drive around ,beeing down in s.wales :lol:

please be nice now :salute:

alan

Personally I'd look at around the £4k mark and allow that extra £1k for getting any niggles fixed. As many on here know I've spent a long time looking at the market and I've come to the conclusion that there are very few cars that are completely right and won't need money spending on them in the near term.

You ask why a Corrado? Well for me it's probably more to do with the fact I wanted one when they were new. Compared to modern cars they aren't that fast (but not slow either), are certainly not as reliable, and I don't think they will be worth a fortune in the future (I could be wrong). But it's the whole '90's thing'... I love the look of them, the fact they are small and nimble compared to modern cars, and actually have some character.

If you want a 90's coupe then this is the one to get :)

Oh and the fact they are rare helps a lot. I love the fact a lot of people don't know what they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6cS64jX8iw

At the moment £5k is VERY top dollar......there have been a number of very good examples on here recently for less than that.

I agree that they are never going to be worth a lot in the future like for example a Lancia Delta Intergrale is from the same era, but 'most' of 'us' have accepted this now I think and 'most' of 'us' dont have one for this reason I think !! They are however, a great drivers car with very predictable handling. At the end of the day they are very much showing their age now but I'm sure you will never regret buying one as its the type of car that makes you feel better for driving which I think is something quite difficult to replicate in this price bracket.

In short a Corrado will make you feel that bit more special than anything else on the road and I think this is summed up nicely as I have had at least 3 people stop me in the last year and ask if I would sell myn to them - wont get that in a civic type R :D

ive had afew great sports car ...DC2 type R ...mk1 golf .16v ....scooby.... merc clk 230k ...all good and not the same ...

what im trying to say ..i could buy any of the above again with 5k and lov it ,,whats the rado going to do for me.....as ive not been in one yet

the main question is what do you like cars to do for you? some people who've had a lot of cars dont always "get" the corrado straight away. eg. recently someone test drove one but didnt take it above 3k revs and then complained it didnt come alive for them when they'd not even got it to the part where you have fun.

with decent suspension/roll bar, 288mm brakes and a good engine map, a standard car will be a lot of fun on exactly the kind of roads you're talking about - and you should expect all of that from a £5k car. it would be worth driving one first but if you like the sense of the unknown then i cant see you'll be disappointed from an example you buy at that money.

I agree, I've had a ton of stuff at lots of price points like boxster s's, m3s, a supercharged v8 stype and last car was an elise 111r.

Love the vr6 though, the feeling of value for money and the character of the engine is what sets it apart, plus it still feels modern.

thanks all

for your thoughts ,thats it im going to look and hunt for a top dollar corrado and when i do

,i do hope to meet some of you guys and girls from this forum :nuts:

ive got my eye on one but , will wait till new year now before i part with the dosh ...

dont no what this V.A.T will do to me yet !!! :gag:

i first got me mk1 in 1997 at the for sale stand at GTI inter ....

back then the corrados were top dollar ....and i could only dream of owning one ..now it s easyer

cool .

alan

Anyone after a relatively trouble free Corrado VR6 should be setting there sites around the £3250-£5000 mark nowadays. The biggest thing which determines the higher prices nowadays is not the mechanical condition but the bodywork condition; this is where you'll have to spend the majority of your money. Many a good Corrado has been ruined by dodgy bodywork. The sight of dodgy paintwork on a Corrado makes me sad :(

Mechanicals can usually be repaired by yourself or friends. Bodywork is almost an art/skill which means you have to part with allot of money to get it right.