Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Porchse 944

Did any of you guys consider a 944 when looking at the Corrado? They seem similar prices (slightly more expensive but not massively so) and seem a direct cometitor to them in terms of 2+2, shape, power, etc. Looking at the history of them, Porsche and VW initially developed the 924 together and then VW jumped ship when they felt the Scirocco was filling the gap of the coupe. So in that sense the 944 is Porsche's Corrado.

Very nice to drive especially the s2 variant and turbo perfect handling and can be improved more with mo30 suspension

Buy one with a full history and triple check the boDy work is in tip top condition.sills that are rusting can cost up to 700 quid a side.Also wings you cannot quite see the bottom lip that usually rots away.The electrics can be troublsome sunroof windows and 9 times out of 10 the digital clock is kaput.A good thing is they can be had for little money now a decent s2 or turbo for 5k

So similar issues to the Corrado then :)

I was just wondering why people bought a Corrado over a 944 really. I'm not particularly looking to get one although the S2 certainly seems the one to get.

Was nailed on for a 968 coupe but the numbers just didn't stack up.

Must have spent months researching/buying material on the buggers, then jumped ship.

There's just something about the rump of the 944 that makes me wrench.

Belting car once you're sat in one though !

hi

i also faced this dilema decided upon a corrado as i figured the porsche was going to cost too much to run as mechanical, engine and suspension parts arnt shared with mainstream cars (golf passat etc etc) hence porsche parts were going to cost alot more . i might be wrong though! im still tempted with a turbo 944 though!

andy

hi

i also faced this dilema decided upon a corrado as i figured the porsche was going to cost too much to run as mechanical, engine and suspension parts arnt shared with mainstream cars (golf passat etc etc) hence porsche parts were going to cost alot more . i might be wrong though! im still tempted with a turbo 944 though!

andy

But VW are now obsoleting a lot of Corrado parts. Are Porsche any better? Being a prestige manufacturer I expect you may still be able to get most parts. They would be expensive but at least you may have a choice. Also as many more were sold there is probably a bigger aftermarket scene (both third party and breakers).

944 was on my shortlist when I was looking for my ‘next’ car; along with DC2 Integra, RB5 Impreza, Clio Trophy and E36 M3. Corrado won because as I mentioned to you before I had always wanted one since I was 15/16, and also it was the cheapest both in terms of outright cost and insurance.

Hadn’t really done that much homework on 944 but I remembered one ex-owner commented that even though essentially it’s a late 70s design from the 924 era, it’s still a very good drive. As mentioned the perceived parts cost would put me off; and I would want the S2 as well. Also I wouldn’t mind a 968 Sport.

I think my next car after the Corrado will likely to be a bit more modern unless I get very lucky and be in a position to own a E30 M3; though I don’t think I’ll be changing car for at least a couple of years.

Based on what I’ve read here as well as my own experience, I don’t think one should spend more than £3k on a Corrado, unless it REALLY is a mint / show car, which as you know only too well are hard to come by. I have spent close to £2k upgrading / renewing / repairing mine since April 2010 though I have to say not everything was essential (I got a spreadsheet detailing all the costs as well as every petrol fill-up but it’s saved at my work laptop and unfortunately the laptop died just before Christmas.... Teach my NOT backing up important thing i.e. Corrado related stuff! :gag: My IT guy is trying to retrieve it at the moment....). Having said, apart from the time when the headlight switch failed and burnt out the earth wire, my Corrado has never let me down (touch wood), and I do drive the thing pretty hard. I do have a shopping list for 2011, but none are essential items; in theory apart from a full service/MOT in late Feb and an additional oil change in October, I could spend zilch for the rest of the year and save some money for my next car! (touch wood touch wood)

Enough of me rambling...... sorry. :)

I went through exactley the same purchase dilemma - 944 S2 or Corrado VR6. The final straw was I priced up a full brake refurb (discs & pads etc) with genuine parts for both cars, and the S2 came out much more expensive than the VW.

Plus, as already said the rear of a 944 isn't great, whereas the corrado looks good from any angle. The 968 solves that problem, but they are way more expensive than a 944.