Sign in to follow this  
jimpy66

Best way to remove badges?

I need to remove and refinish the VR6 , Corrado and VW badges on the rear- can this be done without breaking the tabs? I've had a try at it but couldn't get any movement without it looking as if they'd break- any tips?

Be very careful with the Corrado script badge as it's very weak between the 2 r's. There are 4 lugs at the back equally spaced so try to ease them out bit by bit on each one equally if that makes sense.

The VW badge has 2 of the same lugs and is a little more robust.

The VR6 badge is held on with double sided tape.

Just take your time on both and don't use anything that will scratch your paint when prising them off.

I've only ever removed the VW badge which just pulls out okay. I've not done either the Corrado or VR badges which i think are just stuck on...

However i was recommended to saw them off using some fishing line....

*** note i've never tried it... just an idea and recommendation.

Yep as Dave says if you look in the boot you can actually push the badges from behind and to remove the VR6 badge you can use dental floss :)

Thanks- I saw the tabs behind but couldn't tell if they simply located the badge or whether they were a tight squeeze into the holes. I guess then that they are just locators and the badge is held with the glue- the floss/fishing line is a good tip.

Only the VR6 badge is held on with glue.

Both the VW centre badge and Corrado script has lugs at the back of them that push into the blue plugs that go through holes in the body work.

Pics of the rear with no badges on and the blue plugs in place.

Corrado and VW logo are held with the tabs which have a bard like prong which holds them in place only the vr6 badge has sticky foam on it...i'd practice removal of the VW badge first as you have less chance of breaking it... :grin:

Aye what our lass above says Lol :lol:

Yep also try hot water from the kettle to soften up the foam on the VR badge. ;)