Sign in to follow this  
Greg Kirby

Toyo Proxes PX4 Avoid

Just a quick note to warn people off Toyo Proxes PX4's. I previously had Toyo Proxes T1R's and these were excellent. Due to lack of availability at my local stockist of T1Rs I opted for PX4's. This was a bad move. Vastly lower lateral grip in the dry. Understeer is considerably greater on roundabouts. In the wet it's terrible. Avoid.

Fairly sure I'm going to take them off. :epicfail:

ANY version of Toyo Proxes are just terrible in the wet in my experience! Had several cars shod in T1-S, T1-R's and they've always been utter pants. The only ones I think I'd ever buy again in the future would be R888's for some track action! :)

Interesting... I'm about to get some new tyres - I'm looking mid range (max £75 a corner fitted), and the T1-Rs would have been one of the ones I was considering. I have them on the Golf, but to be honest I was never blown away by them. They seemed like an okay-ish tyre but didn't exactly offer massive grip.

That leaves the Kumho KU31s and Uniroyal Rainsport 2s.

Interesting... I'm about to get some new tyres - I'm looking mid range (max £75 a corner fitted), and the T1-Rs would have been one of the ones I was considering. I have them on the Golf, but to be honest I was never blown away by them. They seemed like an okay-ish tyre but didn't exactly offer massive grip.

That leaves the Kumho KU31s and Uniroyal Rainsport 2s.

I've seen a few people say the KU31's are good for the money!

I've had T1-R's (195 45 16) fitted for years because they are cheap but not utter garbage. I've always thought they were okay and vertainly fine in the wet, but the Continental Winter tyres i've got on (195 50 16) do handle amazingly well in wet AND dry, as proven on a number of long drives over Xmas.

So, is the difference down to the higher profile, or the tyre? Or both. hmmm

But must say, I've had really crappy tyres before and would not regard Toyo as poor performers.

I'm currently running KU31's all round and am very impressed (previously had Pirelli). Cant comment on wether or not the grip levels are better or worse than other brands but I do find that the feel/response from them is very communicative and certainly lets you know when you a pushing a bit to much prior to them letting go altogether.

Paid 50 a corner fitted

Try and keep it in the Tyre thread if can please people :D - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=97248

Dukest spent ages condensing down the old tyre thread and he won't be chuffed!

Says he who is about to launch into a tyre debate anyway :lol:

I like my contis, so I Think I'm gonna try the Continental Premium contact next, since Sport contacts are not available in 205/50/15 :(

I've had 3 sets of KU31s, so time for a change :D

The missus's car had SportContacts on it from the factory and we recently took them off and Conti no longer make 205/45/16 Sporties any more either, so we put some Pirelli P Zero Nero on and they've ruined the car imo. F'ckin awful things.

Even 80% worn out, the Contisports were loads better.

It does annoy me how us enthusiasts can't stick to a tyre we like because of the feckin Chelsea tractors and current hot hatches pushing wheel small wheels out of fashion / demand.

Will lock this to force people to post in the tyre thread as Kev says.. but I do really like the rainsports! They get a thumbs up from me and I'd happily use them again!