Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

For people looking at the 72k mile VR6 near Bournemouth....

Namely this one;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Just spent most of the day going to view this car. Didn't help that i'd been throwing up half the night and the 6 hour round trip to see it felt like 12 hours :pukeleft: Anyway, I just thought I would give you a heads up on the condition of this car if anyone was considering looking at it. The guy (trader) is asking top whack for it (£4k) and won't come down a penny despite the fact I pointed out to him that although it's good nick that £4k is decent low mileage Storm money and it needs at least £500 worth of work, and that's if you know a few people!

Bodywork;

Bodywork is in very good condition for it's age and pretty much rust free. Although it's not perfect. Suffering from;

- Usual split underseal and rust starting to form on the near side rear sill. Off side is fine.

- Off side rear quarter panel appear to have been painted (signs or laquer against the centre moulding

- Scratch on rear panel (near the VW badge)

- 5p dent in near side front wing.

- Roof seal rubbers gone.

- The front slam panel is heavily rusted, one of the worst i've seen on any Corrado. I put this down to the fact that the lack of use meant the engine bay was not being dried out like a higher mileage car would?

- Drivers door handle about to break and the door pins are missing the plastic.

- All four wheels are corroded and need a refurb.

- The front bumper is heavily stone chipped.

Interior

- One of the cleanest Corrado interiors i've seen in years :clap:. The leather is matt and apart from the usual drivers boulster scratches the leather is in amazing nick.

- However, it's had a heater martix replacement last year and theres loads of gourges out of that nice matt dashboard now :(

- The heater cable/knob that adjusts the the air flow is broken. As far as I know no one has made a repair kit for this yet, so £250 for new dials at a dealer.

Engine

- Engine was sweet and the chains good :salute: . Pulled well and usual VR6 performance.

- Needs a service (last one was 10000 miles ago in 2005!)

The Drive

- Harshish ride due to the coilovers (he couldn't tell me what they were)

- Car feels like it could do with new rear axle bushes as it felt a little sloppy if i'm honest.

Just thought I would give you all a heads up and save you some fuel. I think at top whack it's worth £3700 due to the work required on it. However he wasn't willing to drop that far :( Good job i'm not in a rush.

Good work, sure this will be useful for anyone thinking of looking. Money sounds like the issue.

So what are you after exactly Mr McCrotch?

I'm going to give the guy a call tomorrow and tell him I won't pay more than what I offered. It's a nice car (certainly nicer than some of the other crap I've seen!) and wouldn't exactly be hard to fix the issues, but if you're paying £4k for a 1992 Corrado you should be buying it without the need of spending over £500 on it straight away. From a buying POV money isn't the issue for me, but I won't be ripped off :D haha.

I'm just after the mintest, most original Corrado I can find. Which will purely be a summer toy, so it'll be garaged in the winter :)

Glad you got there and back ok mate, I only got back an hour ago myself!

Good write up but sounds like it's worth 3.5k max really so glad you didn't buy it!

Fair enough, although I'd guess with originality comes the issue that stuff will need to be done. A modified example might already have paint/wheel sorted.

Good luck with the hunt, how long without a C was it? :lol:

Dealers tend to be very selective about what deatails they put up, looked at 2 golfs today for my girlfriend, seemed amazing on the ads, one had mould ALL over the interior and the other had dents and scratches on every panel and a list of advisories that included every brake and suspension component, was angry we had wasted the time going to see them...I will be in touch once the works done on mine if your still looking for a clean vr by the end of Jan!

If u like the car i'd say it's worth about 3.5k, then chuck 1k at it and it ought to be mint, even then though, most rado's have something or another up with them when u buy em...

Already trying to arrange a viewing ;)[/quote:3s5bqcvk]

Wow! that's some 'potentially' :lol: amazing car there. It's amazing how quickly your mind says 'dodgy' when you see a few things in a car ad :lol: Like the far away pictures (what's he hiding :bad-words: :lol: ) no interior shots etc...

prob a very straight car, and to be honest Pat, if mileage + usual suspect issues all prove fine - that's not a bad price......if you get it for 3,850 :cheers:

Already trying to arrange a viewing ;)

Wow! that's some 'potentially' :lol: amazing car there. It's amazing how quickly your mind says 'dodgy' when you see a few things in a car ad :lol: Like the far away pictures (what's he hiding :bad-words: :lol: ) no interior shots etc...

prob a very straight car, and to be honest Pat, if mileage + usual suspect issues all prove fine - that's not a bad price......if you get it for 3,850 :cheers:[/quote:1cdm0wzt]

Yeah, phone number doesn't work... shame becuase it sounded like the perfect car!

Already trying to arrange a viewing ;)

prob a very straight car, and to be honest Pat, if mileage + usual suspect issues all prove fine - that's not a bad price......if you get it for 3,850 :cheers:[/quote:17o5yv1m]

Genuine mileage, but sadly the bodywork was terrible :( Full of dings and looked like it had been cleaned with a brillo pad. Shame it showed the signs on a good car (mint interior, no rust).

(Regarding the 54k Pistonheads link)

Yep, as above we are fairly sure the mileage is genuine as was the owner but unfortunatly is wasn't great... in some ways nice to see a fairly original / standard example but with that low mileage we expected a lot more - I'm sure it will still sell but the new owner will need to spend the asking price again to make it 'good' :(

No real rust but scratches on every panel meaning you'd really need a complete blow over to make it a mint example plus roof / weather strips etc etc...

It also had a pass rear window at some point and the owner said the pass door had been changed due to an accident 3 years ago - unfortunately this had not been painted / prepared well and there was rust coming through all along the bottom. The rest of the car though I have to say was 99% rust free, arches and sills good.

Can't really give any more detail as we only looked at it for 5 mins, made up our minds and got on the road back to Suffolk.