Sign in to follow this  
storm_warning

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I stay I am sure there will be trouble, but I must say almost 14 years of owning a Corrado in one form or another hasn't been fraught with problems, to be honest. However, my Storm is just shy of 200K on the clock and has seen much better days. The bodywork took a beating in the cold snap end of 2009 start of 2010 and then I bought a diesel A3 around March and sorn'd the Corrado in July with the intent of getting an Elise (not happened yet since I have a very specific model/colour/etc., in mind and only two became available in my price bracket all last year, both of which were sold before I saw the adverts!).

The plan was to sell the Corrado for about £2K after having it repaired, serviced and MOT'd, but instead it still sits in my driveway looking very sorry for itself next to my also sorn'd MX-5 I'll be selling in the spring. But, my god, I miss driving it! This damned A3 may be saving me tons of money per month in fuel, tax and insurance, but it's just not worth it for the tedium of driving an insanely boring car.

Soooooooo..... what to do about the Storm? I can make it roadworthy again for about £500, but find myself this year for the first time since owning a Corrado, with some spare cash I could use to upgrade it. Top of my wishlist for years has been a 24v 3.2 V6 to replace the worn out and down on power 2.9, with the full loom wired into a TT dash (thanks to Jay Renshaw for making me need that mod!).

The dash I could probably do myself, but the engine... no way. With all your collective knowledge here on the subject, does anyone know any garages that would offer the conversion? And at roughly what cost? I'm guessing £3K won't go far enough to get a whole engine with loom and gearbox, plus have that properly fitted, which I'm sure also requires at least a new exhaust to go with it?

Of course, I still have the option to leave Corrado ownership altogether and just enjoy the Elise when I finally find the one I'm looking for, but I think I would really prefer to stick with the Corrado and get shot of the A3 (despite its intended use to be the sensible car to the Elise).

Guess I need to know then engine conversion costs before I get too carried away. I've read through the (loooong) definitive thread, but as definitive as it may be, there's not much in there by way of prices - especially when you don't have the talent to do it yourself!

I think you already know the answer, you're just looking for backup :D

I think if you're going to do it and have the cash then now is the time before parts get too scarse - there is good knowledge of conversions on here now that will help and you also have one of the newer Corrado's despite the miles.

Maybe give DG / Stealth or PSI a call to discuss or maybe Jay would be up for a challenge, I know he offered his services before

2.8 24v lump would be easier and far cheaper to come by, I've seen good low miles ones go for around 500 quid, would make a far more cost effective replacement, it's a lovely smooth engine, and not everyone seems happy with the drive of the 3.2 in a Corrado.

My conversion was basically £4k but that was a couple of years ago and for a 2.8l. I loved the car and would still buy it back if offered, in fact I should have kept it and put that 6spd box in. That was from PSI and Im pretty sure at that time they said £1200-1500 was the engine and as said above you can now pick them up a lot cheaper. Mechancially the conversion is straightforward, its th loom that baffled me. Never driven a R32 one but can only see that being the same with more poke.

Love my 24v conversion, only the 2.8 but it's got the low down grunt that just makes the car feel a bit more lively and modern.

I had mine done by the boys at DG Autotech and they've done a brilliant job so I'd highly recommend them. Similar price in total to Coullstar's but I sourced my own engine, loom etc then DG fitted it and made it all work. I also had some extras fitted to mine at the same time so its probably best to give them a call to discuss your options.

If you're not particularly attached to the car I thought someone was selling a 24v Converted VR recently??

Interesting points about the 2.8 over the 3.2, I had read someone saying once the 3.2 was a bit on/off and difficult to live with?

One thing I'd love to know (have asked before, but no one replied) is if the noise is any different from the 12v to the 24v engine. I love the noise of the 2.9 with a K&N fitted (in fact, it's that noise that made me drive it in the most uneconomical way possible for years!) and I would lament the loss of this very rewarding part of the VR6 engine.

I have the 3.2 v6 in mine, did all the conversion myself except for the loom rewiring. all in came to around £3000 maybe less, maybe more but cant remember. The loom conversion and exhaust were a major cost in the conversion (almost the same as buiying another engine!)

Drive is fine, it isnt a VR so the responsivness is sharp. But you get used to it and you end up driving the thing better.

Sounds are different, 12v is louder than the 24v yet the rasp is about the same.

Maybe if I fit a 3.2 into yours you can fit a full working tt dash into mine ? :lol:

Hey, this is an awesome conversion and one i would strongly suggest....as for costs my car owes me just over £6.7k, but that included buyin the car @£2.5k....a lsd an fitting @ £800, engine, lambdas, accelerator pedal ~£1300....loom, remap, ecu programming £900 including fitting by south west in car tech. The rest is the cost of exhaust, coilover suspension, new bushes, oil cooler etc. To be honest i did all the mechanicals myself and fitted all engine, suspension, new steering parts @ hme on the driveway with a small jack and halfords tool kit. Only the exhaust i farmed out, to make a custom dwnpipe which is a work of art and cost me £250....The tt dash conversion frightens me more tbh, this u really could tackle yourself, i did mine within a few weeks. The character of the 3.2 can be softened in the throttle mapping to make it less jerky. U alredy own the car, if a lsd and remapping for extra power arent necessary, u could do this conversion into ur car 4 £2500 if u look around and find a well priced engine , with both looms, a maf and 2 pre cat lambda sensors...and an accelerator pedal...........

Need any help just post up.......although quicky1980's r32 conversion guide is very very good.....

I like it, it sounds good still! Was that with an induction filter or standard panel?

Had a bit of a result tonight. My brother, who normally has no interest in being a mechanic outside of business hours, is a bit strapped for cash and wants to take his new girlfriend on holiday this year and has agreed (in principle) if I want to do this, he will help with the loom & engine. He a VW Master Technician of some 20 years or so. His fee has not been discussed yet, but I know it will be a damned site cheaper than a garage (and Jay, for that matter!), so nowall I need to do is asses the winter damage and see if it's worth doing when the weather gets a bit more friendly.

In the meantime, I guess I'll start looking for engines with full looms and a dashboard....

Anyone taken the 6 speed 'box across with the engine?

h6 vwc - why the accelerator pedal, too? Is this engine fly-by-wire?

Hey yeah the engines are fly by wire, though i believe alfa throttle bodies can be made to fit and then a small mod to accept the throttle cable, for those who dnt like the feel of an electric pedal, i dnt mind it and it was dead easy to screw a pedal in and plug in.

Dont worry about not being able to get clocks, keys, transponder as the immobiliser can be defeated when sorting the ecu. Mk4 or mk5 r32 engines can be used, just a fuel pressure regulator and new alternator/pas bracket needed on thed mk5. Audi a3/tt engines are also very good and available, i mixed an audi loom onto a r32 engine no probs. Good luck, and be careful when buying an engine.

Sorry to jump in here, but could you do a 2.8 24v conversion and bore the block to 2.9 using the ABV pistons? Or is it a different stroke and everything going from the 12v VR6 to the 24v?

Why would you want to do that? The 2.8 24v has more power and torque as standard than the 2.9 12v. a simple remap should see min 220bhp with similar torque figures.

coullstar, I'd love to know what mpg you get out of your more powerful, refined and slightly lighter engine? In the VR6, at best, I could manage 40mpg when driving Miss Daisey on a long run, but normally I'd average about 24mpg, or 28mpg when I tried not to drive like an idiot all the time.

I like it, it sounds good still! Was that with an induction filter or standard panel?

h6 vwc - why the accelerator pedal, too? Is this engine fly-by-wire?

Cheers, that's with an induction kit and a 2.5 inch straight through exhaust.

The fly-by-wire throttle is pretty good on mine. As part of my Revo stage 1 DG mapped the throttle response to get rid of the jerky on/off nature of the standard pedal so it's all nice a smooth now.

Agree with Coullstar, no point making it a 2.9 as the 2.8 with a simple Revo map like mine should be 215bhp easily, maybe more with the exhaust and induction.

As for fuel economy, mine is almost the same as when it was a 12v. I'm averaging 31-34 on most tanks, up to 38mpg on long journeys and at worst about 23-27 if I'm driving pretty enthusiastically a lot. On the trip to Castle Coombe last year I averaged 29mpg driving from Worcester to Coombe, doing a track session and driving back so I'm really happy with it.

coullstar, I'd love to know what mpg you get out of your more powerful, refined and slightly lighter engine? In the VR6, at best, I could manage 40mpg when driving Miss Daisey on a long run, but normally I'd average about 24mpg, or 28mpg when I tried not to drive like an idiot all the time.

There was not a huge difference. Best I had was 400miles out of a full tank.

And the insurance, once the engine was changed? I imagine the normal insurers hate such a mod and push up the premium to silly prices...

The more I think about this the more I want it. Come on spring, hurry up already!!

Wasnt too bad as your not really increasing the power. Just make sure they realise the work thats gone into the car. It was easy for me as I had the reciept for the work. Best to check first.

If you enjoyed the car's performance before the engine started to fall apart and don't want to spend a fortune then consider swapping the existing 2.9 unit with a fresher 2.8 Golf AAA engine.

The difference in performance is negligable if you move across the 2.9 throttle & inlets and relatively young (sub 100k) 2.8 engines can be sourced for buttons. Indeed at these prices you can put some schimmel cams in and still save money. You also avoid all the complication of changing manifolds & ECUs etc. I did a whole swap including sourcing the lump and garage labour for about £1200. A 24v conversion will cost you nearer £3k realistically, at which point buying a whole car is a more sensible solution.

Depends on whether you want to go bonkers with the performance or not, but worth considering.

If you enjoyed the car's performance before the engine started to fall apart and don't want to spend a fortune then consider swapping the existing 2.9 unit with a fresher 2.8 Golf AAA engine.

The difference in performance is negligable if you move across the 2.9 throttle & inlets and relatively young (sub 100k) 2.8 engines can be sourced for buttons. Indeed at these prices you can put some schimmel cams in and still save money. You also avoid all the complication of changing manifolds & ECUs etc. I did a whole swap including sourcing the lump and garage labour for about £1200. A 24v conversion will cost you nearer £3k realistically, at which point buying a whole car is a more sensible solution.

Depends on whether you want to go bonkers with the performance or not, but worth considering.

Indeed, or just go with an exchange VR from Vege at less than 2k - a mate has now done over 60 k miles in his and it's still silent, uses no oil and and pulls like a train!

Indeed, or just go with an exchange VR from Vege at less than 2k - a mate has now done over 60 k miles in his and it's still silent, uses no oil and and pulls like a train!

I know I know im always complimenting the Vege engine ive got. But as Steve says it cost less the 2k for the lump. Just swap the ancilaries over.

Glad to hear at 60k its still silent and still using no oil. Mines only done half that mileage, your mates will be just about run in now ey Steve :D

I know I know im always complimenting the Vege engine ive got. But as Steve says it cost less the 2k for the lump. Just swap the ancilaries over.

Glad to hear at 60k its still silent and still using no oil. Mines only done half that mileage, your mates will be just about run in now ey Steve :D

I was thinking smaller than that. For reference the (93,000 mile) 2.8 engine I sourced last year cost me just £265 delivered to me!. Even with the cost of the various gaskets, bolts & garage time I had the engine in the car & job done for around £1200 and it's been faultless (taps wood) for 13,000 miles since then. No shortage in the performance dept either.

I'm sure the Vege engine is an excellent, safe option but with 2.8 24v engines at the price they are currently you're most of the way at the Vege's price to covering the cost of an ECU and the other ancillaries required for a 24v conversion. In my case I'd already spent a fortune previously on rebuilding a 12v, and my heart just wasn't interested in spending that money all over again when it went pop.

I will admit, I did think about sourcing another 2.9 VR6, but a 2.8 VR6 didn't pop into my head in 12V format, but if I was to stick with a 12V engine, I may just as well sell my Storm for £2K, and buy a VR6 that's covered a whole lot less miles for around £3K. That way I'd not just get an engine that's done less work, but would have to effect repairs on my current car to make it saleable (about £500, I reckon).

Right now, I'm quite into the idea of popping in a 2.8 24V engine, if I can get one around £500 and can get my brother to do the work, I doubt the entire job will go much further than the cost of selling and buying a different one.

But you are right, simply replacing with a 2.8 12V would be the cheapest and easiest way. But I hope it won't come to that! First I have to sell my MX-5, then I can get my loan for the Elise. Once I have that, I can sell my A3, at which point I'll have all the money I need to refit the Corrado and end up with two cars to be proud of owning, I think? Certainly better than saying I drive a diesel A3 and my Corrado is permanently off the road. :(

Of course you could sell the Corrado & the A3 and use the money to put a S2000 engine in the MX5. You wouldn't need the Lotus then.

I read it's becoming a common conversion...

:twisted:

I only bought the Mazda for my wife until she found something she'd like more. Turned out not only did she not like driving, she is also the worlds worst driver (despite her insistence the the contrary and stories of how good she is, but how many people turn right onto a roundabout?). I liked driving it around in the summer, so I kept it a couple of years, but my Lotus itch really needs scratching and as nice as an MX-5 is to drive, they're nothing compared to the Elise. Not that I've ever driven a Mk3 MX, mind, but top gear tell me it's the same as driving the Mk2.