Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

What HT Leads?

My HT Leads are looking a bit tired. So I was thinking about replacing them but they are pretty pricy on the 16V. Eurocarparts have them for £45, and there are various "posh" ones available. Is there anyone out there who has experience or advice on which ones to go for and if its worth splashing the cash.

My HT Leads are looking a bit tired. So I was thinking about replacing them but they are pretty pricy on the 16V. Eurocarparts have them for £45, and there are various "posh" ones available. Is there anyone out there who has experience or advice on which ones to go for and if its worth splashing the cash.

I bought a set of BERU ones from GSF about 6 years ago, no problem whatsoever, Hella is another manufacturer of standard leads, you won't get more performance from a 100 quid plus set, they just look flashier.

David.

Yeah agreed with the comments made so far but I tend to go with silicon ones usually as they don't get all stiff and mouldy with age. Try and source a set that uses OE ends for a better connection.

Cheers

K

I found a company on the net that make 10mm silicone ones with 4 spark paths for £65 delivered.the company make leads for astin martin engines apparently! there phone number is 02089332213 they only do em in blue tho,hope this helps

I'd use the Beru ones from G&S/Euro. Had them on my 16V and they where OE quality, flashy leads don't do anything for performance.

I think they cost £28 3 years ago.

Ron

So the fancy looking ht lead dont improve performance at all then?

and if not will the ecp or gsf ones be as good as the standard vw ones?

flash leads will not improve horse power, but, the bigger the conductor the lower the resistance. just like your amp cable the thicker wire has less loss over a given length then a thin wire. what this means is that in extremes you will get a healthier spark with the thicker low conductivity wire. so in therory, acceleration and temp extremes and starting should be improved, as should fuel consumption and spark plug life.

like i say thats a THERORY

dont know if it works tho, only that magnecor are crap, stay away at all costs

flash leads will not improve horse power, but, the bigger the conductor the lower the resistance. just like your amp cable the thicker wire has less loss over a given length then a thin wire. what this means is that in extremes you will get a healthier spark with the thicker low conductivity wire. so in theory, acceleration and temp extremes and starting should be improved, as should fuel consumption and spark plug life.

like i say thats a THEORY

dont know if it works tho, only that magnecor are crap, stay away at all costs