Sign in to follow this  
VWVW

Battery Charging question

Sorry if its obvious but better to check with you guys first :D ...I just bought myself a ctek charger for the VR as I dont drive the car very often.

I thought all that needs to be done was to connect the red cable to the positive end of the battery and the black cable to the negative end of the battery and thats it...

but when I started to read the instruction manual...it says when charging a negatively grounded battery...Connect the red wire to the positive pole of the battery and the black cable to the vehicle's chassis. So if Iam following the instruction method. Do I just clamp the black cable anywhere on the engine ????

yep or any metal part of the chassis that is grounded. Ive got the same charger. If you connect the black cable to a non grounded section the lights will flash alternately, just redo the connections and try the black on a differnt piece of metal.

yep or any metal part of the chassis that is grounded. Ive got the same charger. If you connect the black cable to a non grounded section the lights will flash alternately, just redo the connections and try the black on a differnt piece of metal.

Cheers for the reply...I just wanted to be sure...because when I saw on youtube they just connect red cable to positive end of battery and black cable to negative end of the battery ie not connected the back cable to any part of the chassis that is grounded.

you can do that if the battery isn't also hooked up to the car at the time,

Think of it like a jump start procedure.

You can also connect it to the battery (after all, the earthed car chassis is connected to the .. battery!). It shouldn't hurt if you're only using it for top-up charging.