Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

VR6 Crank Sensor Resistance Testing

Still trying to get to the bottom of my on going running problem. I decided to test the crank sensor for resistance. I think its pin 1 and 2 your supposed to get a reading of 500-1000 ohms. correct me if I'm wrong. I couldn't seem to get any reading testing with any combination of pins. :?

I know its a bit fiddly to test with the probes and the crank sensor fitted from under the bonnet, but I did try several times.

My question is would the car still run with there being no resistance?

I have replaced it in the past but it is a cheap after market plastic cased jobby.

EDIT: I know its obvious if I've managed to test the sensor correctly it will run. I'm just wondering if this is the problem with the car that I've been searching for months for now?

could be open circuit fella, sensor wire could be broken internally. but i would check contacts clean first

Static test across ......

Pins 1 & 2 is 500 to 700ohms expected.

Pins 1 & 3 is open circuit.

Pins 2 & 3 is open circuit.

pin 3 is just insulator shielding wire

If you had reisistance on 1-3 of 2-3 then youd have a problem. so your crank sensor is fine

I cant seem to get any readings on 1&2, 2&3 or 1&3. :?

I have had a couple of occasions where I've stalled the car then it would just turn over but not start. I thought it may have been flooded as I had just started it and it is running rich at the moment.

if you have no resistance on 1-2 then you need new crank sensor

So this could be my running problem hopefully at long last! I wont get my hopes up too much though, lol :)

could be the fact that the wires inside are broken and just touching in different angles

i had an intermitent fault like that once,bloody hard to find that fault!

could be the fact that the wires inside are broken and just touching in different angles

i had an intermitent fault like that once,bloody hard to find that fault!

Tell me about it, Ive been searching for the cause of this running problem for months now and had given up. Was going to drive it all the way to Vince at stealth to have a look but havn't got the funds at the moment. I'm just glad it just about passed the emissions test yesterday. Its running high CO just slightly under the limits!