Sign in to follow this  
kentyboy

1.8 16v steering pump

hi all and a happy new year to you all!! having a few problems with a steering pump for my 1990 kr 16v,mine failed last weekend,promply got on the blower to gsf,who very kindly delivered one to my friends garage pronto.....i removed the old one,fitted the new one...yaaay! went to put the pulley on,all ok.until i tried fitting the belt,then realised that the pulley was out of alignment,10=maybe 15mm outwards towards the wing than the other one.am i right in thinking that the 16v golf one should fit or are there any other dirivatives within the vw range that will fit as well.has anybody else had this problem? bit heavy trying to drive with no power steering,will end up with arms like popeye at this rate.... :mad: also what fluid should i be putting into the reservoir?

Does your steering pump run off a separate belt? Had the same problem before with my old 1991 16v, I think there were 2 available, so just swapped it with the other variant! Sorry if that doesn't help :(

VW Hydraulic oil should be fine

all sorted,somehow it turns out that i have a vr6 power steering pump on my kr..........? nice light tight steering now though...........

when you are used to PAS and it fails on you as you are about to do a u turn you certainly have a squeaky bum moment,having 225/40s on doesnt help,it just wanted to go straight on...my cab doesnt have PAS and that has 195/45s on,thats ok to turn till you come to parking up..............