Sign in to follow this  
nutter driver

VR6 starter motor quicky....

Morning boys and girls, Weve been having a few problems with the new aquisition and its starting habits, with the starter sometimes continuing spinning (although not engaged) whilst the ignition etc is off!! Im thinking of getting a new starter rather than a second hand one, as its a car we're likely to be keeping for a long time.

This brings me nicely on to the question, has anyone had any bad experiances with any particular brand of starter motor? (I know we've already had problems from the new rear wheel bearings the previous owner fitted, a look through the history shows gsf bearings fitted about 7,000 miles ago..... something i will be rectifying when i get some time) A quick search online finds me lots and lots of starters listed for the VR6 lump, with massive varying prices, but I really dont want to be buying another one in a few months time!! I was thinking of stumping up for a bosch one, (thats what was on there, perhaps the original??) but dont really want to if the others are all ok!!

Cheers

Pete

Sounds like the starter solenoid isn't disengaging. Check the wires and earths around there because they're prone to corrosion being exposed to the elements.

Fit the best starter you can afford and I would paint the body with hammerite as they can rust badly too!

VW for the Starter - it will be an exchange unit but they are most likely brand new rather than rebuilds - I've never had a rebuild starter that lasts more than a few years from a factor.

Same with the rear bearings - change them before they glue themselves to the stub axles as GSF ones tend to do - dangerous imo.