Sign in to follow this  
TheWizardofOdds

Rover 45...hmmm, nice.

I have the use of a Rover 45 for a while. It runs, surprisingly, very well. Except... :lol: , when you first turn it over it fires up, idles for about ten seconds then stalls with the battery light illuminated in the instrument panel. To actually get the car to go you have to rev the titz off it. At 4am this can be a little annoying for the neighbours, so I'd definitely appreciate any thoughts on this. Torching it, is not an option. Once the car is running for a couple of minutes it's absolutely fine. :awesome:

Crush it? :D

Or thought about finding the cause for the stalling. Ok its a Rover, but you've said yourself its doing its job and its cheaper to fix that then buy another car?

Or thought about finding the cause for the stalling. Ok its a Rover, but you've said yourself its doing its job and its cheaper to fix that then buy another car?

Isn't that what he was asking for help with?!

Could it be something as simple as a coolant sensor fault? Does it only struggle to run from a cold start or does it do it every time it's started? If it's only from cold then surely it's lacking some fuel enrichment for some reason....and there can't be many reasons.

ICV? Potentially Map/Maf issue? Temp Stat? Anything which the car pulls it's cold start readings from?

Can rule out stuff like the lambda and so on though, as these are only used for the warm readings,

OK, thanks for the replies. A mixed bag of 'em too. :lol:

I never thought to try and start it after a run. I've only incurred the problem from cold start as that's all I've done. I was looking for ideas as to the nature of the problem not what to do with the car, being a Rover and all that, but thanks anyway. I'll check it out and see what can be done, with my 'skills', that won't be very much. I was just wondering if it might be something obvious.

Cheers, Rover fans.

whatever runs the automatic choke :p icv or even does it have a pcv valve thats not working?

I was actually looking for a manual choke the other morning. The way it runs it's just like manual choke cars used to, that juddering as you eased the choke?

I have no idea Phil what icv or pcv is? Was mentioned earlier in thread too. I think?

idle control valve, or the other one positive crank valve or summot!

idle control valve does as said but they can get shitted up and stop working right which means cutting out at junctions etc.

pcv valve blows (i believe) warm gasses from the exhaust back into the system to help it run when cold. lot of the older vauxhalls had em apparently its better for the environment than putting loads of fuel in to run the car when cold. now what ive just said might be butter ollocks but thats what im led to believe!

Take it in to any hairdressers in Longbridge where you'll have expert advice from ex-rover employees that have now 'sucessfully' been re-trained!

pcv valve blows (i believe) warm gasses from the exhaust back into the system to help it run when cold. lot of the older vauxhalls had em apparently its better for the environment than putting loads of fuel in to run the car when cold. now what ive just said might be butter ollocks but thats what im led to believe!

If you mean EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valves then I'm pretty sure they're fitted entirely for reducing emissions.

Cheers. I'll check out the idle and Honda forum. It's definitely a cold start problem, no such probs when restarting a few minutes later.

In that case, not only should it be a simple fix but it'll likely be a cheap one too. Of course, there's no guarantee of either!

Cheers. I'll check out the idle and Honda forum. It's definitely a cold start problem, no such probs when restarting a few minutes later.

In that case, not only should it be a simple fix but it'll likely be a cheap one too. Of course, there's no guarantee of either!

Cheap and simple? That would be a first for me. :)