Sign in to follow this  
corozin

R32 starter motor on VR6

I heard a rumour that you can use a starter motor from a Golf R32 as a "upgrade" replacement for the VR6 starter motor.

Apparently they're a bit more powerful etc so it seems like a good idea, and now's the time as my existing starter is starting to fail.

Can anyone confirm which model of R32 Golf starter motor is the one to use? Does the change require any other modifications or is the R32 unit a straight swap?

Any help replies, as always, greatly appreciated

John

I am of the same understanding John. What I learnt suggested they are a more powerful direct replacement. Something i'm looking to do but ideally want a new genuine item so could do with confirmation of compatibility, year and best price.

I think chasrad has one fitted to his turbo, so if he lets me know the info before someone friendly here answers the question I will post up what he tells me

I am also after a genuine new VAG part, but without the model I can't check the prices either. I don't think they're a lot more money than a VR6 one.

I can tell you that 02M 911 023 does not fit, which is from a MK5 R32. Different bolt spacing.

Already tried it. As it's an O2M p/n, i suspect it's the same part across all 24v gearboxes (o2m and o2q)

I can tell you that 02M 911 023 does not fit, which is from a MK5 R32. Different bolt spacing.

Already tried it. As it's an O2M p/n, i suspect it's the same part across all 24v gearboxes (o2m and o2q)

Excellent, that's progress towards the goal part. Thank you.

Has anyone fitted the MkIV R32 starter successfully then?

Mine is from a 2007 O2Q box. It wasn't far off though. I don't think it would take much fiddling to get it in. Electrical connections are the same, so it will be a bolt on and go job

I'd like to know if the MK4 one fits also, sounds like a good upgrade!

John, Kev, Sorry I can't help. I don't have an R32 starter fitted. I've never had a problem with standard one so never needed to change it. Equally interested as you chaps if the Mk4 R32 one fits though.

I'm popping down to The Phirm on Saturday so I'll ask the guys if I remember....

Me neither to be honest! 12V one has been fine. I think the R32 motors are stronger because of it's higher compression, so on that token, maybe a diesel spec starter would be just as good / better?

I'm thinking a MK4 TDI that used the 02J gearbox perhaps?

I spoke to vince about this the other week as it happens, and he says the golf V5 starter will the engine quicker, and fits straight onto the VR6!

I'll try and get part number off him.

vince's response:

"

Hi Pete,

I have not got any part numbers but the starter motor you need is from a Golf V5 2.3 with 5 speed gearbox.

Vince"

Probably wont be too hard to get a part # from vag-cat/etka.

Are we certain the starter from the 2.3 litre V5 will be more powerful than the VR6 starter? The R32 starter suggests a more pwerful motor?

Are we certain the starter from the 2.3 litre V5 will be more powerful than the VR6 starter? The R32 starter suggests a more pwerful motor?

This is what Vince tells me.

I changed my starter on the vr a few years back with an exchange unit from vw and couldn't believe how much more powerfull it is on starting, just bangs into life so i'd happily recomend a new VAG one John.. :grin:

Right, I spoke to the guys at the Phirm today about fitting R32 starters to VR 'boxes. In short, they recommended just fitting a genuine Bosch VR6 replacement starter motor. Basically, the design is different: the R32 starter is predictably a more modern design and is brushless. Also, there is a difference in the depth of the gearbox bellhousing as well as the flywheel being different, so they were unsure whether an R32 starter would marry up correctly to a VR6 flywheel. HTH, John.

Right, I spoke to the guys at the Phirm today about fitting R32 starters to VR 'boxes. In short, they recommended just fitting a genuine Bosch VR6 replacement starter motor. Basically, the design is different: the R32 starter is predictably a more modern design and is brushless. Also, there is a difference in the depth of the gearbox bellhousing as well as the flywheel being different, so they were unsure whether an R32 starter would marry up correctly to a VR6 flywheel. HTH, John.

That was my understanding too. but the golf v5 is more powerful than a standard vr6 one, not sure if it's burshless or not.

Ok this might not be the ideal outcome for a thread I started, but in the absence of someone who someone who has actually fitted a later starter I've made the decision to replace the starter with a new OE (Bosch) one.

I have a garage doing the work, and I can't afford the chance of ordering something something else and taking the chance, not to mention the potential financial hit, of a different starter not fitting. Sorry if this sounds a little bit like wussing out but on this occasion I'm not going to experiment.

But thanks for the info, questions asked and responses posted. Will just have to wait for someone a bit more adventurous to find out what the swap fits like.

John

Dave at DG told me to get a V5 one when mine needs replacing- worth giving DG a shout if anyone wants to make sure.

Thanks for that, I will try and give young Dave a shout tomorrow about it.

As for prices, I haven't got as far as that yet, but my garage source most of thier VW parts from TPS, which will mean I get genuine (Bosch) parts at a lot less than the VW Dealers will quote even to the trade. When I've got the prices I'll post them up for reference.

Cheers!

John

Final update

As I suspected work kinda got in the way of making any phone calls last week and so I ordered a genuine Bosch replacement which was fitted today. Frankly given the way this one spins the engine I would advise that it's not really worth looking into ordering anything else.

I'm also seriously wondering if the old starter was even a Bosch one as this one spins much better than the last one ever did in the five years that I've now owned this particular car. Indeed I think it's also stronger than the starter I had in my original VR6 (M100 VRG) which I had for seven years prior to that.

The Bosch part came in at £135.30 ex-VAT with two hours labour.

where on earth do you get a Bosch for that kind of money? Euro are about £100 dearer!

I believe it was sourced at TPS. Would also have been a trade price as it was a garage who purchased it. That's the figure on my invoice anyway!

And yes, I did specify a Bosch item when I booked it in.