Sign in to follow this  
Marshall936

Difference between manifolds

Right this may be a stupid question but i'm going to ask anyway :) Is there a difference between the 2.0l and 1.8l inlet manifold as i got one from a scrapyard but i'm not sure what model it was from. Thanks!

Early 1.8 kr manifolds are larger than Later 1.8 krs and 2.0l 9a manifolds and both can be switched,

2.0l abf manifolds are different due to the differnt engine management

all will bolt up to te heads just the same but as I said above the abf one cannot be used with k-jet or ke-motronic, and vise versa

Yeah, older valvers had 50mm bore runners, newer ones got 42mm bore runners in an attempt to find some low down torque. Some MK2s also got the 42mm. Late J and K reggers.

It's all a bit of a lottery with the valver as to which manifold gives the best results. I had a completely standard valver 12 years ago that made 154hp, stock F reg with 50mm intake. A few years later I sunk some cash into another one, which had 42mm intake, twin exhaust cam mod, WUR mod, Supersprint exhaust etc and that made 144hp :lol:

IIRC, the 42mm intake found a little extra torque in the 3500rpm region, but only a few lbs.

Personally speaking, I prefer the 50mm intake with twin exhaust cam and wur mod. Cheap gains and the top end is brilliant. This is all on a K Jet motor though. I've not owned a later Motronic one.

K-Jet ftw! who wants fancy pants EFI when you can have a wobbly old metering head pushing fuel through little straws called K-jet injectors!! :lol:

i'd actually love to drive a standard KR on EFI like megasquirt or something. I bet driveability and smoothness are a great increase.

Right this may be a stupid question but i'm going to ask anyway :) Is there a difference between the 2.0l and 1.8l inlet manifold as i got one from a scrapyard but i'm not sure what model it was from. Thanks!

Corrado no, they all had same 42mm inlets, regardless of 1.8 or 2L, early 1.8's have a minor external casting difference but I've never seen a Corrado with a 50mm from the factory.

If you get one off a golf then most will be 50mm as Kev says.

there's not much difference in use, but I'd stick to a 42mm on a Corrado as they are a heavier car and benefit from the improved low end torque.

K-Jet ftw! who wants fancy pants EFI when you can have a wobbly old metering head pushing fuel through little straws called K-jet injectors!! :lol:

i'd actually love to drive a standard KR on EFI like megasquirt or something. I bet driveability and smoothness are a great increase.

K Jet for me every time :D

Modern EFI is all well and good for tighter emissions control and tuning flexibility, but nothing beats K jet for smoothness and reliability imo. If I could run it on my VR6, I would :D

K Jet for me every time :D If I could run it on my VR6, I would :D

I'm feeling this, nothing like the simple driveway tuneability of k-jet, only a few wires needed to run it and no need to be plugging lap tops in everytime a sensor sh*ts the bed, wish my vr was on k-jet too,

I heard that early krs (in mk2s) ecus were less restrictive, could explain why your standard one ran 154 kev,

Corrado no, they all had same 42mm inlets, regardless of 1.8 or 2L, early 1.8's have a minor external casting difference but I've never seen a Corrado with a 50mm from the factory.

If you get one off a golf then most will be 50mm as Kev says.

there's not much difference in use, but I'd stick to a 42mm on a Corrado as they are a heavier car and benefit from the improved low end torque.

The one i've got i found sitting on a mk2 golf so i think i'll have to check the pipe diameter, so if its a 50mm one is that only used on the golf?

on a mk2 golf so i think i'll have to check the pipe diameter, so if its a 50mm one is that only used on the golf?

easy to tell without measuring, the 50mm ones flare out when past the plug leads, the 42mm ones are just straight round tubes, you can fit the 50mm upper and lower inlet, it won't do any harm but it might shift the torque curve up a bit.